News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

96 channels of Neve

Started by Leevibe, August 10, 2016, 07:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

My wife and I brought our oldest son down to LA to tour some movie studios as a high school graduation gift. He's way into film. Today was Sony Pictures, and the highlight for both my son and me was getting to go into the scoring stage there. It's a very ugly tracking space, being nothing but a giant cube that is essentially unchanged back to the '30s. They don't change anything because they are afraid to mess with the acoustics. It was pretty cool to be a few feet from where John Williams was so recently conducting the score for TFA. As hinted to in the thread title, the mixing desk was equally impressive. I was bold enough to lean on the edge of it. Hopefully some of the mojo rubbed off.

somnif

Make sure to stop by the LA County Museum of Art while you're in town. Guillermo Del Toro has a bunch of his personal collection on display at the moment, and its worth the trip (Also it shares a park with the La Brea Tar Pits, my first job, so I try to drive people there every chance I get  ;D )

Leevibe

Quote from: somnif on August 10, 2016, 08:23:51 PM
Make sure to stop by the LA County Museum of Art while you're in town. Guillermo Del Toro has a bunch of his personal collection on display at the moment, and its worth the trip (Also it shares a park with the La Brea Tar Pits, my first job, so I try to drive people there every chance I get  ;D )

Rad. We may go check that out. Thanks for the tip!

alanp

Seriously cool, Lee :)

Any photos of the space?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

What an awesome graduation present!  Your son will remember this trip forever! 

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on August 10, 2016, 09:59:35 PM
Seriously cool, Lee :)

Any photos of the space?

I wanted to so bad but they weren't allowing it. The only indoor space they allowed photos was the Jeopardy set. It was the part of the tour I cared nothing about.

lincolnic

Can we talk Neves for a minute? About nine years ago, I used to work at Magic Shop.

That wasn't just a console. It was a friggin' spaceship.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Back home now, be we had a fantastic time. The big studio was definitely the coolest part for me, but seeing a movie in the Chinese Theater was really fun too. (Suicide Squad. It was somewhat forgettable overall, but still a fun movie)

Quote from: alanp on August 11, 2016, 08:58:36 PM
Did you speak to Mr Neve? :)

I was curious about that too.

lincolnic

Unfortunately, despite having worked in three studios (so far) with vintage Neves, I've never met the man himself. One day, perhaps.