News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multi-Delay + Meatsphere

Started by stecykmi, August 12, 2016, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stecykmi

first up is a two-in-one delay, a 1776 Multiplex followed by a ZPDX v1. i included a Grind Customs PLFO to modulate the delay time, switchable between the ZPDX and the Multiplex where it's switchable between delay 1 or 2. for modulation on the ZPDX, i used the pads for R45 which is supposed to omitted anyway. modulation for the Multiplex is simply across the delay 1 and 2 pots.

the PFLO does not have a rate indication stock but and LED and a resistor between rate lug 3 and ground works (i believe i used 2.7k for the resistor).

i went with a desktop configuration as it's a little too complicated to play with your feet and i mostly play synth and stuff these days anyway. if i built it again, i would move the PLFO over a bit as it's a tight squeeze between the ZPDX mode select and the rate knob.

next is a musicPCB meatsphere, which turns out is pretty great filter for almost anything. i built it with the colour mod and the Moog Q mod, both of which i highly recommend, especially the Moog-Q. it adds a lot more punch to the filter, especially with high resonance settings. it can get sort of whistle-y sounding without it. also, despite what the build doc says, you should not use the VTL5C3 vactrol but a hand-rolled one. i could not get the 5C3 to work at all with this effect. i would also recommend using another LED for on/off indication as the LED is off when the envelope is in "up" mode.

if i were to build it again, i would flip around the effects loop send/return since that just makes sense.

jimilee

2 spectacular builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

raulduke

Very nice.

That delay looks dubtastic  ;)

GrindCustoms

That delay most be a blast to play with!  8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

chordball

That delay is madness! Good work.

What led/ldr combo did you use? I always favored the mutron over the meatsphere but mine had the vtl5c3 so I'm interested in hearing the difference when I build up this rissole board I have.

Govmnt_Lacky

The LED/LDR combo for the Meatsphere should be a Diffused Green LED with a 2M Dark LDR.

As far as the UP/DOWN LED is concerned.... with normal operation the LED should be OFF when in one of the modes (can't remember which one) and will light up when the filter is activated. In the other mode, the LED is constantly ON and will dissipate when the filter is activated.

Sweet builds!  ;)

stecykmi

Quote from: GrindCustoms on August 12, 2016, 08:49:33 AM
That delay most be a blast to play with!  8)

ya it's pretty wild, you can get dual modulation on the ZPDX with the on board and PLFO both engaged. ZPDX is probably my favourite madbean project of all time and it's even more amazing that it's an original design.

Droogie

That delay makes my socks melt—really fantastic idea and execution!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

stecykmi

just as an update for anyone who tries to use R45 for modulation (which is actually pretty handy), i believe you have use a resistor in series to ensure a minimum resistance since it will exceed the max delay, at least with the VTL5C3 that the PFLO uses.

the delay will bug out currently when the LFO depth is set higher than 25% or so. i have not implemented this yet but i think i will try a 470K resistor in series since R45 was originally 1M. i may try a resistor in parallel with the LDR to limit the range. i'll report back once i've tried it.

stecykmi

after playing around with it a bit further, i wasn't able to get good results with the 5C3 across R45, and i instead used the LDR to go across lug 1 of the delay control to ground, with a 10k resistor in series. this allows a wide range of control but it will still bug out at "extreme" settings. i think this is a reasonable compromise as sometimes you might want some freaky sounds  ;D

i believe the VTL5C3 does not have enough resistance or range to sub into R45, although it might be possible with some adjustment to the PLFO circuit (possibly by increasing R6).