News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guidance in replacing a pot for an Ernie Ball VP Jr.

Started by Tuxedo3, August 15, 2016, 06:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey all, the pot in my Ernie Ball VP Jr. is getting kinda scratchy, and I'm not into have little scratches in my swells. I've been trying to find the correct replacement part but honestly idk what kind of pot to use. I believe I have the 25k pot in there currently, should i upgrade to the 250k? I was thinking about buying it from Smallbear. Thanks.

daleykd

IIRC, the 25k vs. 250k is for passive vs. active pups.

madbean

No need to replace if it is just scratchy. Get some contact cleaner and spray it in there. Turn the pot a dozen times and you are good to go.

This is also helpful when using new Alpha pots. The contact cleaner loosens up pots quite a bit.

daleykd

Quote from: madbean on August 15, 2016, 06:44:33 AM
This is also helpful when using new Alpha pots. The contact cleaner loosens up pots quite a bit.
WAAAAAH!?  NO WAY!?

m-Kresol

our electronics engineer at the university was very adamant in not using contact/pot cleaner ever. His standpoint was that you will just distribute the dust/dirt that is in the pot more evenly and you'll have the same problem sooner than later. I'd just put in a new one.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials