Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First SMD results: Riot with twist and DBD RIOT SOUND CLIP ADDED

Started by Rootz, August 17, 2016, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rootz

Quote from: wgc on August 24, 2016, 02:22:45 AM
Sounds good

Somewhere there's a big write up and a video I did posted here, with misc comments posted here and there.

Chuckbuick's got some nice tips he wrote up too.

Thanks wgc! Still, I think I can do better. The EVM12L and NT1a combo sounds a bit out of place, a bit honky I think. Being in an open back cab pronounces this even more. Need to get to the studio and play through a 4x12 with greenbacks...

I will look into your post and tips. Can definitely use more knowledge in making proper recordings.

By the way, I had some time left this week, so came up with a new smd layout. This time a Fulltone '70. Of course in SMD and more than small enough for 1590a. The two boards can be connected with angled connectors. I'm not entirely sure about the correctness of the schematic, in specific  D1. In some schematics it is in parallel to R4, in some it is drawn like I did. Does it make much difference?

wgc

Quote from: Rootz on August 24, 2016, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: wgc on August 24, 2016, 02:22:45 AM
Sounds good

Somewhere there's a big write up and a video I did posted here, with misc comments posted here and there.

Chuckbuick's got some nice tips he wrote up too.

Thanks wgc! Still, I think I can do better. The EVM12L and NT1a combo sounds a bit out of place, a bit honky I think. Being in an open back cab pronounces this even more. Need to get to the studio and play through a 4x12 with greenbacks...

I will look into your post and tips. Can definitely use more knowledge in making proper recordings.

Not recording tips, smd soldering/rework- same with Chuckbuick

nice layout
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rootz

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Martan

Really great work! Almost tempting enough to try SMD. I've got to ask: A real Trainwreck combo? From Fisher himself?

m-Kresol

Cool layout. If you need a good SMD substitute for a 1N5817 zener diode for reverse voltage protection, I've recently used the SS12 diode, got them from RS components.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Rootz

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 24, 2016, 03:48:34 PM
Cool layout. If you need a good SMD substitute for a 1N5817 zener diode for reverse voltage protection, I've recently used the SS12 diode, got them from RS components.

Thanks! I just measured a new Vishay 2S-G diode: Vf=540mV. Those are what I'm using. Got them from Conrad. The datasheet suggests that VF should be 1.15V though! Package is SMB, a bit big to my liking.

The SS-12 through SS-14 have a Vf of 500mV according to the datasheets of Vishay. Do they actually measure lower to? If so, I'll make a switch to them when possible. Smaller SMA package too.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Rootz

Quote from: Martan on August 24, 2016, 02:27:20 PM
Really great work! Almost tempting enough to try SMD. I've got to ask: A real Trainwreck combo? From Fisher himself?

Thanks! Almost tempting enough? I repeat what I said before: working with SMD is simpler than trough hole. No more drilling, as small as you'd like, easy to place and remove components. I can desolder soic8 chips without hot air station. just practice on an old SMPS and try it. It's actually great fun to work with SMD. And did I already say it is cheap??

The Rocket combo is not a real Fisher. It's a clone with 2 EL84's in the power section, reverb and switchable bright caps, gain boost and treble cap in the tone stack. Does anything from pretty convincing top boost to Marshally sounds. Gigged with it more than once through a self designed (real reactive) attenuator and always get complimented on my sound. No pedal I have can touch that sound of a real cranked amp, yet.

As of lately I've been redesigning the attenuator I use. Still fully reactive load, but now followed by an (mono) effects loop with series/parallel switch , switchable dual master volume (solo boost!) and a 200W class D power amp. Due to work I still have to assemble everything. Anyway, this has got nothing to do with pedals and when the time comes I might as well open a new topic under the amps section.

Rootz

Martan

Quote from: Rootz on August 24, 2016, 07:57:32 PM
Quote from: Martan on August 24, 2016, 02:27:20 PM

The Rocket combo is not a real Fisher. It's a clone with 2 EL84's in the power section, reverb and switchable bright caps, gain boost and treble cap in the tone stack. Does anything from pretty convincing top boost to Marshally sounds. Gigged with it more than once through a self designed (real reactive) attenuator and always get complimented on my sound. No pedal I have can touch that sound of a real cranked amp, yet.

I thought the recordings sound great. Nice job.