News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eternity or OCD?

Started by Hyatt, June 28, 2010, 09:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyatt

Hey, I've checked demos for both of these and they both sound good.  People say the Eternity has more gain but I hear some heavy bands using the OCD and it works fine for them.  Just wanted to see if anyone here has had the chance to do a comparison with the Neutrino and Egodriver.

My guitar has humbuckers and I run through a tube recto amp.  Looking to build a good overdrive that can go between a cleanish boost to borderline distortion and produce good harmonics.  What do you guys think?

oldhousescott

I find the OCD the gainier of the two. It's more aggressive sounding and has stronger lows and highs. The Eternity is smoother, and is more focused in the mids, great for soloing.

For less than $100 total, you can build them both!

madbean

I definitely prefer the Ego. I love the texture you get from mosfet clipping.

Both are very simple circuits that can be highly modded to taste, though.

mjcyates

I agree with oldhousescott's description. I did not care for the stock build of the Egodriver, however, after making some resistor changes I like it much better. If I personally had to choose between the two I would choose the Neutrino however I kind of think they cover different territories so having both would be best.

Hyatt

Thanks for all the input.  Having both would be rad, probably will end up doing that now that I found this site.  (The amount of drill bits i buy and break will easily outweigh the cost of both boards)  But looks like OCD will come first and Neutrino comes down the road. 

I like the idea of having more gain to push into a fuzz and these mods for the OCD interest me, I'd like to hear more about them.  I know they made 4 versions of the OCD but I can never trust people who buy them stock, usually its a "mine's better, no mine's better" argument.  What changes did you guys make?

PeterMorton

I haven't needed to make this decision, but I would follow this line of thinking:
1) OCD's are plentiful and the used market and cheap, relative to the Eternity
2) The Eternity is a simpler build of an expensive and more rare pedal.
Conclusion? Build the Neutrino.

Hyatt

Well thanks for the input but I don't want to build it just cause its more expensive.  I have gigs coming up and would like a nice od to add to the rest of the customs and store-bought pedals to add to sound, not so much a discount.

PeterMorton

Your reasoning is much better than mine! I was thinking about my chances of hearing an Eternity in person are about zero, so I would build the one I can't get my hands on. I can go to the local Guitar Center and try an OCD. So, I wasn't advising the build of the Neutrino based on the mojo factor, but rather on availability. And this might be colored by the fact that I have an OCD, v.4! I really would love to play an Eternity to find out what the fuss is about, but I can't easily afford one. So, I have actually bought the Neutrino board for that reason.

What you wanted to know is probably better answered by those who have played the actual units. I apologize for muddying the waters, so to speak. But the OCD is a great pedal. You couldn't go wrong with it, IMO.

jkokura

I have both PCB's - that solves that problem for me!

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals