News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Triple wreck for 1590a in SMD; need some extra eyes WORKING TOPIC

Started by Rootz, August 28, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rootz

Didn't know RS supplies to individual customers too! Used Conrad once for odd bits and was planning to go there more often. Thought I finally had a supplier nearby, with low free shipping threshold and somewhat reasonable prices. Well reasonable... € 0.03 for a 0603 resistor, even if you buy 100s of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m-Kresol

Quote from: Rootz on August 30, 2016, 03:06:42 AM
Didn't know RS supplies to individual customers too!

I think they do  ::) I made a profile just to fill the shopping cart with all the stuff I need, which I then sent to our insitute's engineer, who got discounts and free shipping. Never actually ordered something myself.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

wgc

Looks better to me. Good idea to get parts and verify first.

I'm in the states, shipping can't be that much. Send a pm.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

I dig this layout, man.  And extra props for doing a double-sided board in Eagle. 

And don't let pickdropper start questioning your sense of adventure when it comes to component package size.  He did that to me once and I ended up with a One Knob Fuzz using 0201 caps and resistors.  Never again.  And that circuit has about as few components as you'll find.  Damn you, Dave :)

wgc

That one still makes me smile.

If only oshpark did embedded passives...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rootz

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 30, 2016, 03:58:25 AM
Quote from: Rootz on August 30, 2016, 03:06:42 AM
Didn't know RS supplies to individual customers too!

I think they do  ::) I made a profile just to fill the shopping cart with all the stuff I need, which I then sent to our insitute's engineer, who got discounts and free shipping. Never actually ordered something myself.
I made an account. I'm a photographer and have a VAT-number [emoji16]. My guess is they will never check what I do for a living.

Rootz

Quote from: wgc on September 01, 2016, 07:52:37 PM
Looks better to me. Good idea to get parts and verify first.

I'm in the states, shipping can't be that much. Send a pm.
Thanks!! Small package usually around $ 4,- or so to the Netherlands. However, shipping within the Netherlands is free when your order at, e.g. Conrad, is big enough. That's what I meant.

Rootz

Quote from: chuckbuick on September 02, 2016, 05:21:55 AM
I dig this layout, man.  And extra props for doing a double-sided board in Eagle. 

And don't let pickdropper start questioning your sense of adventure when it comes to component package size.  He did that to me once and I ended up with a One Knob Fuzz using 0201 caps and resistors.  Never again.  And that circuit has about as few components as you'll find.  Damn you, Dave :)

Those transistors are really obnoxiously big!! Didn't Pickdropper point you to something smaller?? Haha. No, 0603 is as far as I'll go in this design. 1uF capacitors are already X5R and 16v max. I prefer X7R.

I did a digital test fit of the board yesterday. It looks like this:

Rootz

I'm still struggling a bit with the opto switching. In all schematics I've seen, there is a cap, most of the time 220n. What is it for and where in the opto chain should it be placed? Electrical debounce of the switch?

287m

noob question

where/how to preview 3D like that?
tutorial, please  ;)

Stomptown

I can't tell from the pic, but are you using a sub-mini toggle switch? If not, you can save lot of space there and they are essentially the same height as  the 9mm alphas. The regular switches we typically use are a bit too tall and will make it difficult to solder the pots in place (I'm not sure they would work at all).

Rootz

Quote from: 287m on September 03, 2016, 03:38:19 AM
noob question

where/how to preview 3D like that?
tutorial, please  ;)
That's not a noob question! I made those 3D views with Sketchup. There is a plugin called EagleUp that you need. They have a website with tutorials for installation and use of the plugin. Try that first and see how far you can get. It was pretty much all I needed to get the results I did.

Rootz

Quote from: Stomptown on September 03, 2016, 09:08:38 AM
I can't tell from the pic, but are you using a sub-mini toggle switch? If not, you can save lot of space there and they are essentially the same height as  the 9mm alphas. The regular switches we typically use are a bit too tall and will make it difficult to solder the pots in place (I'm not sure they would work at all).
That is indeed a sub miniature switch. I've got a switch library in Eagle where they are called tiny switches. I've got a couple of those sub mini switches in stock and confirmed that I use the right pin sizes and spacing. I had some doubts about the hight of the switch and thought it might not be tall enough. You just gave me the answer to that :-).

Stomptown

Quote from: Rootz on September 03, 2016, 04:59:01 PM
That is indeed a sub miniature switch. I've got a switch library in Eagle where they are called tiny switches. I've got a couple of those sub mini switches in stock and confirmed that I use the right pin sizes and spacing. I had some doubts about the hight of the switch and thought it might not be tall enough. You just gave me the answer to that :-).

Cool! Very impressive layout btw.

Rootz

Quote from: Stomptown on September 03, 2016, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: Rootz on September 03, 2016, 04:59:01 PM

Cool! Very impressive layout btw.
Merci Beaucoup (because that sounds great when you pronounce it like lt. Aldo Raine/Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds)!