News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Triple wreck for 1590a in SMD; need some extra eyes WORKING TOPIC

Started by Rootz, August 28, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rootz

Most of the parts for this build have been ordered, except for the passives. I really need to pay close attention to the small differences. For example not all Cliff style jacks are the same. The jacks of Cliff and Rean appear to be slightly wider and longer than the ones from Neutrik for which this board is designed. The same for pots: small differences between Alpha and Alps. Pots, jacks, switches, all should arrive tomorrow.

In the mean time I needed something to do, so I'm working on 1590a versions in the same fashion as this TW of the Skreddy Srewdriver/Lunar module, DBD, small clone and Fulltone '70. The small clone is a bit of a challenge, but hey, I like the toughest puzzles best :-;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan.schumaker

It all looks awesome!  I'm always on the lookout for some cool, small SMD projects! (especially a 1590a chorus ;) )

Rootz

Quote from: dan.schumaker on September 09, 2016, 11:00:27 AM
It all looks awesome!  I'm always on the lookout for some cool, small SMD projects! (especially a 1590a chorus ;) )
Ha yeah, me too! And I'm looking for cleaner solutions for wiring too, hence all the board mounted stuff. With standard placement of certain parts, drilling etc. should be a breeze too. I've got a Pork Barrel and love it and already wanted a Small Clone, so why not design one in a small package and have some fun (other fun than drinking a few beers with friends, but fun nonetheless).

Let's get on with some teasers of work in progress. Of these projects only the Lunar screwdriver (an extremely good design by Skreddy) is at a stage that I could start to order parts. The rest is still in board design phase. The 3D renders are also of the Lunar screwdriver.

Stay tuned for more updates about the TW. It takes long to see some real life results (and not just 3D renders) due to shipping and order processing times and the way I work, but those results will come!

m-Kresol

looks good once again.

seems like you've got a very different approach to layouting than I do. I first put down all components that will have certain positions, like pots, switches, connector pads and the like. then I put down all components following the schematic more or less as close together as possible, also keeping an eye on possible routes for the traces. after parts placement I trim the pcb to size, space the components as evenly as possible and start laying down traces, which of course leads to some parts being shuffled around. long story short, I don't start putting down traces before all components are placed ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Rootz

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 09, 2016, 01:40:11 PM
looks good once again.

seems like you've got a very different approach to layouting than I do. I first put down all components that will have certain positions, like pots, switches, connector pads and the like. then I put down all components following the schematic more or less as close together as possible, also keeping an eye on possible routes for the traces. after parts placement I trim the pcb to size, space the components as evenly as possible and start laying down traces, which of course leads to some parts being shuffled around. long story short, I don't start putting down traces before all components are placed ;)
Not too different then! The placement of pots, jacks, switches, status led, connector between switch board and main board are given. I then place the bigger parts based on their place in the schematic and group the accompanying parts around them. Then I 'pre' route some parts to visualise where I will run into problems. That's where the real fun begins: shifting parts and traces around to minimise trace length and get the most important parts as close to IC's as possible. I use the rip up tool a lot. Really, probably too much. I wish I could work out a better workflow.
When working on a board that isn't restricted to an exact size like these, I trim it after everything is placed.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rootz

Haha nice. Do you want one with 0201 size components then?  ;D

Are there must have mods for a small clone beside the depth knob? I've got room left for a sub miniature switch and maybe some trim pots...

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rootz

I will stay away from the really small parts, for now  :P

Got some parts in today, so time to take some real life measurements and do a very quick mockup on a scrap piece of vero. Just measured the total height from the top side of the volume pot to the top side of the output jack: 27.1 mm. The inner height of a 1590a enclosure is 27.4 mm, so it's really tight fit. But it fits!

The Alpha DPDT footswitches are tiny when compared to a 3PDT by the way. Definitely the way to go for more crowded builds. Overall very nice, relatively silent switches.

When checking the placements of the jacks, I found that they were a bit far from the inner walls of the enclosure. The nut could barely be fastened. I'm glad I'm checking this kind of stuff before ordering the boards...

Rootz

Boards are in. Not a big surprise that everything fits like a glove, but very happy about that nonetheless!  Still need to order some of the smaller stuff, but solder time is about to begin.

jubal81

Unbelievably impressive.
Boards look great - and I know exactly what you mean about the thrill when they show up and all those calculations, hopes and guesstimations work out.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Rootz

Thanks very much for the kind comments! I have to temper them a bit. First let's see if the pedal actually works when done. I'm done for today anyway: out of parts and need to go to the gym. I'll continue work on Thursday or Friday and should know whether this project is successful or not by Saturday. Pretty exciting huh?

pickdropper

That's a great job.

I also like that you didn't board mount the foot switch. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper