News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

moog minifooger mf boost

Started by jtaormina, August 31, 2016, 06:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtaormina

Anyone ever use this pedal (moog minifooger mf boost)? It's super intriguing. Thinking about buying one.  Anyone know of a clone? PCB floating around here under a name not obvious to me perhaps.

matmosphere

I've never used the boost but all the moog stuff I've used is pretty impeccable. I have seen the guts of some of there pedals and there is a lot going on in there. My mf102 seems easily as solid as any of the other commercial pedals I've used in the past. Looks like a mf-boost can be had for about a hundred bucks used. At that price i suspect DIY wouldn't be worth it.

Muadzin

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 31, 2016, 07:58:11 PMAt that price i suspect DIY wouldn't be worth it.

There are countless DIY projects and kits for the NYC Big Muff, the Boss SD-1 and DS-1. Which even new cost nowhere near that. So why not? DIY is just as much about being an intellectual exercise understanding and making things as it is in saving money.

jtaormina

I mean don't get me wrong. I'm someplace in the middle. I love making pedals and I do enjoy the instant satisfaction of buying a pedal.  This one is very interesting to me. I dont think I've seen a pcb board made by anyone for it. So I was partly asking if there is and partly if this wonderfully knowledgeable community has used the production version and liked it or not.  And yeah for 100$ I'm thinking of trying it out. Just doing my typical research before I spend money.

I really dig the expression pedal integration in this line of pedals. Cool possibilities.

matmosphere

Quote from: Muadzin on September 01, 2016, 04:39:58 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on August 31, 2016, 07:58:11 PMAt that price i suspect DIY wouldn't be worth it.

There are countless DIY projects and kits for the NYC Big Muff, the Boss SD-1 and DS-1. Which even new cost nowhere near that. So why not? DIY is just as much about being an intellectual exercise understanding and making things as it is in saving money.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't bought a production pedal since o started building, and I totally appreciate the pursuit of knowledge. First off Moog is a great company and I would be happy to give them money for their products if I found something that I wanted and could afford. Second the stuff I've seen from Moog is hugely complex compared to any other pedals I've gotten into the guts of. I'm just trying to be pragmatic, in that case if that was the tone I was looking for i would probably just buy it. I don't see anything wrong in dropping a few bucks on something to support a good and innovative company.

I totally agree that the expression pedal implementation is great. I've got one of the expression pedals. I think it cost $35 and its as solid as a brick.

alanp

Agreed with Mat.

Although their street cred has dropped a tiny bit, now that Bob is no longer around to benefit from giving them money :(
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on September 01, 2016, 07:30:57 PM
Agreed with Mat.

Although their street cred has dropped a tiny bit, now that Bob is no longer around to benefit from giving them money :(

Yeah, but Bob left the company to the employees, and which was such a cool thing to do. I've got nothing but respect for that guy.

jtaormina

Whilst listing to moon pedal reviews I ran into a video on you tube about the mini moog synth keyboard and its history. Holy crap was I impressed. So much great music because of that thing! I love the part about the miss-calculation in the tone stack and they accidentally over drove it which in turn created one of the most desirable rock sounds of all time. I find stories like this fascinating.

Martan

Quote from: jtaormina on September 06, 2016, 05:47:24 AM
Whilst listing to moon pedal reviews I ran into a video on you tube about the mini moog synth keyboard and its history. Holy crap was I impressed. So much great music because of that thing! I love the part about the miss-calculation in the tone stack and they accidentally over drove it which in turn created one of the most desirable rock sounds of all time. I find stories like this fascinating.

Happen to have a link?

jtaormina

Quote from: Martan on September 06, 2016, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: jtaormina on September 06, 2016, 05:47:24 AM

Happen to have a link?

Part 1:
https://youtu.be/sLx_x5Fuzp4

Part 2:
https://youtu.be/xh4Ok0ex2vU