News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dark Box of Rock

Started by mattlee0037, September 03, 2016, 07:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattlee0037

This pedal seems a tad dark for my taste. I used the krankosaurus build doc and PCB. I've done some venturing into understanding pedals and circuits. From what I've read the box of rock has a big muff pi tone stack, which is a sort of balance between a lo pass filter (large value capacitor?) and a high pass filter (low value capacitor?). When comparing the schems of the krankosaurus and the box of rock they both use the same 47k 22nf combo for one filter while the krankosaurus uses 100nf and the other BOR schematics I'm seeing on websites uses a 10nf and both use an 82k resistor. Could this be the source of the darkness in my pedal? doesn't have the marshall upper mid bite until it's about 3/4 of the way up. I'd love to play with the tone stack calculator, however I have a mac and I couldn't find any that would work on my OS.

galaxiex

The tone stack calculator is cool and fun to play around with, but as others have said, it won't tell you what the circuit will sound like.

"Could this be the source of the darkness in my pedal?" Yes.

Could you remove that 100n cap and solder in sockets?

Then you could play around with different values to get the response you like.  :)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

thesmokingman

there's a few places to change the tonality of the box of rock. the cap right before the tone stack is what zvex alters in the distotron. you can play with the big muff tone stack as suggested as well as the second order filter that follows the tone stack.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX