News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

J Mascis volume bypass/clip cap

Started by mandrewbot3k, September 04, 2016, 09:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

Quick question... I think...

Working on a J Mascis (Dino Jr) spec Big Muff with the help of Kit Rae's wonderful site. I plan on using a mudbunny but including the power filtering too.

Anyways, he bypasses the volume pot for his boost, but I'm wondering the best way to do this. Just a simple SPST between lugs 2&3 seems like it would work, but there would still be signal draw going to ground depending on the position of the pot? So with that logic, a DPDT would work best to remove the pot entirely from the circuit, but that seems overkill. And would I need to add a resistor in series to emulate a dimed volume pot?

The way he works it is he sets his max boost volume with the bypass engaged, for his lead tone. Then he uses the volume knob in non-bypass to set his rhythm volume. Starts high, and works his way back.

EDIT: second question: Might as well not start a new thread...

The mudbunny and a lot of other muff pcbs have the clipping caps after the diodes with a non-polarized cap. But in the original circuits, its a 100v Electrolytic placed on the base side of the cap, not the collector side. What, if any, effect would this have on the clipping?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

matmosphere

It might help everyone to know that his Big Muff is always on. It's his clean tone.

I would think you don't want to use a resistor in series because that would just decrease the volume, which is not what you are going for. As for the other thing I'd suggest just trying and see what works. The dpdt will for sure but I'm not positive about the other way.

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 04, 2016, 10:43:40 AM
It might help everyone to know that his Big Muff is always on. It's his clean tone.

I would think you don't want to use a resistor in series because that would just decrease the volume, which is not what you are going for. As for the other thing I'd suggest just trying and see what works. The dpdt will for sure but I'm not positive about the other way.

Yeah, I just need to make a parts order, so working on my BoM. I havent had much luck searching, but maybe not using the right keywords.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

matmosphere

I think an on/on spst should work if you connect the out pad for the third leg of the volume to the middle of the switch, one side to lug 3of the pot and the other side directly to the out. Does that mike sense?

matmosphere

Did you ever get this working? Just curious.

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: Matmosphere on November 14, 2016, 06:09:12 PM
Did you ever get this working? Just curious.

Unfortunately I've been moving the last couple of months. But I plan on it soon. All my stuff is still boxed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)