News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NIB - Bass pedal

Started by juansolo, September 08, 2016, 08:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

A Bass multi for 4000mile Phil. Unusual for us as we haven't made many bass pedals.

The signal first hits a Grind Fluff Girl (mildly modded EHX Bass Balls), then into a LectricFX Zirconia (Diamond comp fettled for bass), coming up the rear is Big Omar (our booster).

Works really well, great for getting your Sabbath on.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jimilee

Very cool. How well does the fuzz interact with the comp? Like for instance with a klon, I couldn't get much distortion, but with an OD I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

very cool build and tidy as usual. even more impressive with the bypass switch for the comp in the corner, is the zirconia running on 18V from the big omar?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

juansolo

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 08, 2016, 11:12:16 AM
very cool build and tidy as usual. even more impressive with the bypass switch for the comp in the corner, is the zirconia running on 18V from the big omar?

The comp is pretty much always on, but I put the switch in to allow him to turn it on and off should he need to.

Yep, the Zirc is running 18v from the Omar. This is exactly one of the reasons we asked Jason to add the 18v out pad the to the Omar. Bit of forward thinking there!

Quote from: jimilee on September 08, 2016, 09:06:04 AM
Very cool. How well does the fuzz interact with the comp? Like for instance with a klon, I couldn't get much distortion, but with an OD I could.

Flicking the switch with it all on and set up means it just goes crunchy vs clean really, rather than fuzzy. It's just what it was labelled on the original pedal more than anything else. The Omar can really push the amp if you need it to.

brejna

Great build as always. What size is that enclosure and where do you source it?

juansolo

Quote from: brejna on September 09, 2016, 12:34:40 AM

Hammond 1590XX from all your good parts places. I tend to use those for effects with two stomps, 1590D/DD for three and 1550G for four.

It's totally possible to squeeze one more in each of them, which is fine but they're a bit close together if it's to be used in anger on stage. So I tend to stick to the above if that's the case.

m-Kresol

What changes did you do to the Zirconia to make it more bass friendly? I know there's a bass version of the diamond compressor, so it would be nice to have them listed somewhere in case one of our bassists around wants to go that way. Would be cool to list them in the build doc too.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Martan

Looks great!

That's kind of a small knob for big Omar :D

juansolo

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 09, 2016, 01:37:21 AM
What changes did you do to the Zirconia to make it more bass friendly? I know there's a bass version of the diamond compressor, so it would be nice to have them listed somewhere in case one of our bassists around wants to go that way. Would be cool to list them in the build doc too.

Just the standard Bass Diamond. Only we changed a couple of caps (the 4.7uF) which has ended up with paired up 1uF film caps (so 2uF), which should easily cover bass frequencies. Basically because we couldn't figure out which way around to fit the electros ;)

Quote from: Martan on September 09, 2016, 03:43:22 AM
Looks great!

That's kind of a small knob for big Omar :D

It was very cold when I took the picture...

wgc

Sabbath Bloody sabbath, looks great

Winter is coming
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

brejna

Quote from: juansolo on September 09, 2016, 01:35:10 AM
Quote from: brejna on September 09, 2016, 12:34:40 AM

Hammond 1590XX from all your good parts places. I tend to use those for effects with two stomps, 1590D/DD for three and 1550G for four.

It's totally possible to squeeze one more in each of them, which is fine but they're a bit close together if it's to be used in anger on stage. So I tend to stick to the above if that's the case.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was little bit smaller, but when I look at that zirconia pcb it sure is big.

blearyeyes

When you built the Zirconia for Bass was it the same as what's in the Docs Bass/BOM from Keefe?

thesameage

Juan,
I'm thinking of doing a zirconia/Omar 2 In 1 for Bass. Any advice now that this has been out in the wild for a year. I'd the Omar good on bass?

Coda-effects

Wow, now that is what I call a clean build! Perfect in every aspect!

juansolo

Quote from: thesameage on October 14, 2017, 10:50:37 PM
Juan,
I'm thinking of doing a zirconia/Omar 2 In 1 for Bass. Any advice now that this has been out in the wild for a year. I'd the Omar good on bass?

Omar boosts everything, so yeah good for Bass. I know Phil uses the pedal quite a bit and is still really happy with it.