News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Measuring Resistors

Started by masterlk, September 11, 2016, 08:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterlk

Hey folks - Can someone help me on which setting my digital multimeter(not auto ranging and doesn't show k or M on the screen) should be on for measuring these:

680R ?
680k ?

I am still a newb and I am asking cause a bought a mixed bag of resistors from China and both values are in the set and I am second guessing myself on what I am getting. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

m-Kresol

just take the setting that is closest but HIGHER than the value you want to measure. I assume (mine has auotrange) that there is a 1k setting, which would be good for the 680R and the 1M setting should work for the 680k.
resistor codes are blue-grey-black-black-brown (the last brown ring depends on the tolerance though) for 680R, and blue-grey-black-orange-brown for the 680k
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

neandrewthal

neandrewthal

On my meter that would be the 2K and 2M range. Just start on the lowest range and keep going up until you dont see OL (overload, or something equivalent, that's what mine says at least) Or Start at the highest range and go down until you get a reading without lots of decimal places.

masterlk

Perfect! Thanks for the help. The packages I received were marked wrong. Glad I was able to catch this now.