News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This won't last long

Started by Leevibe, September 13, 2016, 05:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

m-Kresol

wow, that is a great deal for sure and its a beauty too. I like Teles quite a bit in terms of playability and optics and that neck PU looks awesome with it. I have an Asat classic thinline and I love it. Also G&Ls don't have that ugly Fender headstock
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

daleykd

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 13, 2016, 06:36:43 AM
wow, that is a great deal for sure and its a beauty too. I like Teles quite a bit in terms of playability and optics and that neck PU looks awesome with it. I have an Asat classic thinline and I love it. Also G&Ls don't have that ugly Fender headstock
Serious question: What's ugly about it?  My eyes don't see an immediate difference between Fender's and G&L's.

jimilee

Maaaaannnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

Quote from: daleykd on September 13, 2016, 06:50:21 AM
Quote from: m-Kresol on September 13, 2016, 06:36:43 AM
Serious question: What's ugly about it?  My eyes don't see an immediate difference between Fender's and G&L's.

the Fender ones have that big round 'nose', which is much less pronounced with the G&Ls. Still similar of course. I never noticed until a friend pointed it out and now I don't like the fender headstocks any more
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

peAk

hmm....I missed it?

Have a pic and what the price is normally? Just curious

dbp512

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 14, 2016, 12:25:35 AM
the Fender ones have that big round 'nose', which is much less pronounced with the G&Ls. Still similar of course. I never noticed until a friend pointed it out and now I don't like the fender headstocks any more

I wanted to find a picture that compared them, but not after you said this. Now I'm trying to remain blissfully ignorant  ::)
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

culturejam

I've always thought the Tele headstock shape looks like it was trying to make it to full Stratocaster shape, but couldn't quite get there. It looks partially formed or maybe under-achieving to me. It's started to grow on me recently, but I still far prefer the Strat headstock (but not the big 70s shape).

I think G&L strikes a nice balance with their headstock shape.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

I must be the only one who hates the G&L headstock. It looks like a bottle opener or self pleasuring device to me.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on September 14, 2016, 08:56:23 AM
I must be the only one who hates the G&L headstock. It looks like a bottle opener or self pleasuring device to me.
How could either be a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Why decided on just one function?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

You are not alone.  That is one of the most common criticisms of G&Ls. 

I own a Legacy that is fantastic, and had an ASAT that I thought was great.  I think they make nice guitars, although the headstock is my least favorite part of the guitar.  I *far* prefer the Fender shapes.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

There are a few odd things about G&Ls.  The hardtail bridge they use on the ASAT specials is an acquired taste, the headstock (I don't mind it, there are a lot worse out there, but I do prefer Tele headstocks), the stupid little locking set screw on the tremolos THAT GETS LOST ON ALL OF THEM.

All that being said, they make a great instrument.  Far closer to "vintage" Fenders than pretty much everything Fender puts out (with a wide range of neck profiles available), and generally for a better price point, as well as offering variations on the theme.  Want a vintage SSS sound - go with the Legacy.  Want more balls - go with the S-500.  Want the raunchiest single coils around - go with the Comanche.

I'm in the process of getting rid of all my Fenders (might be keeping 3, the original JD, a Cabronita, and may an Am Dlx Strat) and will be sticking with my G&Ls for all Fenderish tones.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.