News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Me slowly branching out of just enclosure and doing "some" electronic stuff...

Started by Dminner, September 15, 2016, 09:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dminner

I thought I would make a build thread just because I was proud of something I finished recently...I wasn't sure I was going to post it because it isn't a real "build"...  It is just pedal modding as I baby step my way from just doing enclosure to also doing the innards.  But I was pleased of the outcome so I figured why not.

Awhile back I worked out a labor trade to rehouse a old digitech pds unit of mine.  However, conversations during the rehouse kind of fueled my desire to experiment with the pds stuff.  It is a fun starting block for me because they can be had pretty cheap (so if make a massive screw up, no worries) and because they can be modded to do crazy things.

I started with a 1700 I got for cheap, and have made a handful since.  Just randomly probing and circuit bending to create cool sounds :)

However, recently I got more ambitious. I had a spare 20/20 and while I was waiting on the other forum member to rehouse my other one, I decided, why not? And tried rehousing and modding my spare unit. The included a couple mods, upgrading switches, and externally wiring EVERYTHING! The were a couple of bumps along the way (like me accidently removing pads and having to hook to traces), but all in all I learned some stuff and was proud of the outcome.  The enclosure was MASSIVE, which help with my newb skills.  The guy rehousing my other one has a much smaller enclosure he is working with.

Anyway, here it is.  And a 125b for size comparison haha

Addy Bart

Dminner

Quote from: Addy Bart on September 15, 2016, 09:59:57 AM
Slick! Would love to hear what it can do.

I don't have a full video of what the 20/20 can do...but here is a short video on what the glitch feature does.  It is tuned by the speed (affect frequency) and width (effects pitch, from crystalline sounding artifacts to more skipping, tape break sounds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkvSQKQ-JEI&feature=em-upload_owner

The 1700 is INSANE.  I made this demo with the idea of continuously rotating the side knob throughout the video.  However, the low end is not very musical...so pretty sounds start at around the 2min mark.  I don't even know what kind of effect it is now.  It does chorus and flanger sure, but also ring mod, pitch shifting, and lots more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqXAQFDcE4

Addy Bart

Great mods! Is that the clock speed on the left?
I actually thought this was pretty musical. It would be fantastic on drums or a drum machine!

Dminner

On the 1700?  It is one of the internal trimmers mounted externally.  I just started spinning them on all my pds units to see if any do cool things.  On my 2700 I realized that spinning one of the trimmers all the way created this weird lofi fuzzy broken speaker sound so I wired that one up to a toggle to make the pot and create a "lofi" switch.

Addy Bart

Great stuff. I'd love to see more from the 20/20 too. 

The 1700 mods do sound good. I've done a bit of circuit bending on some Portasound keyboards and drum machines, which has been fun but a bit hit and miss as far as results go. Did you have to cut any traces or was it was simple as swapping internal trimmers for pots?

Dminner

No cuts. Side pot is trimmer externally mounted and the toggle/momentary just connects two points of the large ic.

Addy Bart

lincolnic