News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vertex Effects After the Axis Wah Scandal: Article

Started by selfdestroyer, September 18, 2016, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Reverb just ran this article, it is an interesting read.

On a side note, I love Reverb.com's web developers. Everything is always so clean and modern looking.

https://reverb.com/news/vertex-effects-after-the-axis-wah-scandal-a-conversation-with-mason-marangella

nzCdog

Indeed... that website is slick 8)
I lost interest halfway through the intro... TL;DR summary? 

chromesphere

The comments are pretty brutal lol.  I dont know why these guys conduct themselves in this sort of manner, pretty short term outlook?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

Great read. I'm ready to forgive when someone owns up and works hard to make things right. I didn't really know about this because I'm not into TGP. This definitely has a different feel than the TMG fiasco.

pickdropper

I think second chances are worth giving when the person has genuinely changed their ways.

But I really don't get a genuine feeling from him at all.  He's a great salesman, though.  I'll give him credit for that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stringsthings

Wow. What a scumbag.  I wouldn't touch this guy's stuff with a 10-foot pole.

On a lighter note, I'm starting a new PCB business and forum.  It's called AngryLegume.  ;D
All You Need Is Love

LaceSensor

TBH I wouldnt trust this guy, and I dont reward deception. Couldnt give a shit how good his pedals are  - there are literally hundereds of options and nothing I saw made me feel he had much of a USP or innovations (irrespective of the deceptions, taking everything on face value)

The guy is a snake. I followed it all on TGP and will read this retrospective with much interest.

For context, I feel teh same way about persons that cheat in relationships - once you deceive someone, its game over for me.

Aristatertotle

Dude's in the wrong game. He should be in politics!

mrclean77

All JMO:

LEGIT APOLOGY
I fuss at wife for taking the last slice of pizza, only to find out the kid ate it - I apologize and she accepts. I learn to, in the future, investigate further before making rash accusations regarding pizza thievery.

NOT LEGIT APOLOGY
I push my wife around during arguments, this leads to slapping, which leads to punching and kicking - it goes on for 2-3 years. Her brother comes over and kicks my teeth in, so I apologize to my wife and we live happily ever after.

I don't know if these are good analogies - maybe I just shoulda said, despite trying to work on it, there's some things I just ain't gonna forgive and be able to move on. Only reason I can stand the fact that he's getting MORE press/attention is that maybe that article will inform somebody about what he is capable of.

And yes, kudos to Reverb for their slick website and I'll also give a kudos for trying to handle a touchy subject from an unbiased viewpoint, while also not being wussies about it - I think they did as good as you could do, given the situation.

madbean

Quote from: mrclean77 on September 19, 2016, 05:58:56 AM
And yes, kudos to Reverb for their slick website and I'll also give a kudos for trying to handle a touchy subject from an unbiased viewpoint, while also not being wussies about it - I think they did as good as you could do, given the situation.

Ditto. I think the main complaint is that they could have devoted that effort to something (or someone) more worthy. But, they did a good job as far as presentation.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pickdropper on September 18, 2016, 07:00:31 PM
I think second chances are worth giving when the person has genuinely changed their ways.

But I really don't get a genuine feeling from him at all.  He's a great salesman, though.  I'll give him credit for that.

This is the direction I am leaning also. This all sparked my interest since I was reading all the posts about this as it was happening. From the gut shot pics to the comparison photos.. Its like watching Law and Order: Special Pedal Unit

Cody

culturejam

He's doing a great job at generating buzz. Lots of people are typing his brand name on social media, forums, etc.

Dude knows how to hustle. That's for damn sure.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

And really...who among us hasn't rebranded a commercial effect, doubled the price, and sold hundreds of them.  As I was saying to my close friend Robben Ford the other day...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Who among us hasn't done something stupid? Were all musicians so I'm guessing none. That being said, what he did was wrong and shows you how fast a tiny lie can snowball. He is a stand up guy for making good on his deal, may or may not have sold all of his gear.  No, wouldn't buy anything from him especially since he doesn't own any gear, but we all know more than your average pedal buyer. Interesting article. Whatevs, just thought I'd throw my 2 ohms out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

My 2 ohms, Jimi you crack me up.  I'm still on the fence as to if this isn't just great marketing/sales or if this whole thing is legit.  The bottom line though is if ANYBODY that is buying a $350 wah, and really loves the sound of it....doesn't that in itself make it legit?  Fools and money and all that but if you were happy with the pedal, what part of the fact that you were scammed makes you less happy with the pedal?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?