News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny to Pharaoh

Started by phil esposito, August 03, 2011, 12:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil esposito

I know the Pharaoh was based off the GGG board so how hard would it be to make one out of the Mudbunny?

If this is a taboo question I'll remove it!

jkokura

Not hard at all. In fact, the pharoah being made on the GGG board should make it very easy.

All we need is someone with a pharoah to tell us the values of the parts used. Until then it's guess work. Alternatively, we can also use a picture of a pharoah's guts to get the values unless they are hidden/gooped/sanded.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

OOh looks like something I'm interested in! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
You would probably have better luck to ask over at FSB. When you say GGG board are you referring to the muff project other there?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

I've seen a pic o the guts of a Pharaoh. It was #49 I think. It featured a General Guitar Gadgets PCB, and it would be a Muff of course. Flavour of the month over at FSB, and now a product available at PGS.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

snz728

There is a schematic pcb and vero layouts at FSB http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14040&p=169693&hilit=+black+arts+pharaoh#p169693

They are very similar (I like pharaoh has more tone control). I started to compare the Mudbunny and Pharaoh to see if I could build one on the same board but got sidetracked by other projects.

Effectsiation

Yeah I saw that after doing additional research after posting those pics.  While a schematic is provided, some of the values I've compared with the original Modified-GGG PCB version are different. I'm going to see if I can work up a Mudbunny list for the OP when I get some free time.

Bored

Quote from: snz728 on January 24, 2012, 03:53:41 PM
There is a schematic pcb and vero layouts at FSB http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14040&p=169693&hilit=+black+arts+pharaoh#p169693

They are very similar (I like pharaoh has more tone control). I started to compare the Mudbunny and Pharaoh to see if I could build one on the same board but got sidetracked by other projects.
Thanks for the heads up- I'm a fan of modified muffs. I might kill some of the switching, but I like the knob flexibility.

Diamond

I made an Excel sheet based on the info I found on FSB. The values between the brackets are the standard Mudbunny values for power supply filtering. They might differ from the actual Pharaoh, but this won't affect the sound.

Effectsiation

Thanks man! Sorry I never got around to this, can't wait to try it on a Mudbunny!

eldanko

Pardon if a dumb question, but can you explain the purpose of the low/assym mods listed on the BOM?  Is there any given advantage to adding assymetrical clipping?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Diamond

Well, since this is a topic about building a Pharaoh Fuzz on a Mudbunny board, I suggest you look at YouTube demos to hear the actual differences. PGS usually has good demo's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5N4-YVhoI But there are others.

The Hi/Lo switch switches between high gain input and low gain input. The former obviously has more distortion. The Ge/Si switches between symmetrical silicon diodes and assymetrical germanium diodes. The exact types of diodes used in the Pharaoh are not known to me, but you can obviously use whichever you like. It is probably explained better at other websites though. Just use Google!

eldanko

Are C1 and C13 10uF film caps in the stock unit?

Diamond

No, they are tantalum caps in the original, but elco's work fine. I don't even think there are film caps in such high values.

eldanko

I ran a search on Newark out of curiosity... and they do exist... but they didn't look small  :o

Last question... if using tantalums or electrolytics, which way should they be oriented?

Thanks for your help... can't wait to hear this thing.