News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eye of the Tiger

Started by nzCdog, September 26, 2016, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

I've lost it. Really hoping its a short phase... with teenage kids, a stressful job, we've just moved house to a new neighbourhood... it's been one heck of a year so far. 

Now we're settled in, but I have lost the desire to build pedals or play guitar.  I have set up a nice new workbench in my garage, it remains un-used.  I have a dedicated music room with guitars, amps and pedals set up ready to go... but no desire to play.  All I do is watch Star Trek TNG re-runs or play computer games in my downtime. 

Meh.  Needs moar eye of the tiger :-\

selfdestroyer

I'm with you some what.. I have been so distracted by other hobbies or life in general that its draining me. I get home from work with intentions of working on pedals but I end up eating dinner and powering on the PS4.

I think the weather for me plays a huge part on how much motivation I have to work on things. When its super hot, I will populate tons of PCBs and test them but never box a thing since I hate being in the garage when its HOT! Its getting in the high 70's here next week and will be perfect for some building.

Hope to catch the bug again soon and get motivated!

Cody

Muadzin

I've found that now that I'm finally toying around with my Axe FX I've lost the will to build pedals. I built on average 4 pedals a month and overall the chance of any new pedal (usually a dirt pedal) actually making it onto my pedal board was slim. I had pretty much found my favorite pedals and sounds. But even that slim chance was enough to keep on building. Now that my pedal board is fully digital there's no need to include any pedals at all I find myself going why even bother build anything new at all.

jkokura

I go through cycles too. Perhaps the thing I like most about hobbies is that they are things we can pick up or leave as we feel it, not feeling the pressure to make it work.

It doesn't help that a tabletop gaming store finally opened up in my city. Can't get enough X-Wing in these days.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I think the desire is there, it's just getting motivated. You just have to make yourself do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

I go through phases as well.  Sometimes im full of inspiration and ideas, others not.  I used to worry a little when i was in a lul, like i was neglecting something that i shouldnt be.  I dont these days because i always come back to pedals.  Lately i have been playing mansions of madness 2 and painting the miniatures (please dont judge me for that :) ).  The enthuasasm for painting was at a high and i thought it would be a good idea to try painting some enclosures as well.  That sort of, cross hobby interest is good for rekindling the fires too i have found.  So it can be beneficial to just do SOMETHING ELSE i guess. Just take a break from it, no one can be 100% enthuasastic about the same thing forever, its just not possible.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jubal81

I think a lot of us around here have been going through that lately.

Juan recently got me doing some PCB layouts for him and I've been reinvigorated - mostly about pushing myself to try new things and challenge myself. A little success goes a long way, too.

Teaser shot  ;)

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jtaormina

I haven't had any time to myself the past 6 months. Kid, wife, broken shit around the house, best man ins a wedding, helping parents build a house blah blah. No pedals. I got 5 hours the other day Of FREEDOM and I canned 24 jars of pickles instead of building. Crazy. I know canning is for 70ydar old ladies but I love pickles. Gonna try sauerkraut soon hopefully.

gordo

It's phases. At some point you need to step back to appreciate what is is you do. It's healthy. Might take a week or a month or even a year, but it's always there. Do other things for a while, knowledge and experience are cumulative. 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Right now, I'm completely had it with building overdrives, fuzzes, and distortions. Squarely in the "can't be arsed" basket.

Still not tired of playing around in eagle, though.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

It's definitely a cycle thing. Most of 2016 I've not really been interested in making pedals at all. What's brought it back recently is getting a few PCBs done that have been on my wishlist for ages (two verified, one en-route) recently (many thanks Jason!). Before that it was the previous batch we had done which again piqued my interest.

There are a few reasons. I've been busy with other things for a long while (race/car stuff, retro gaming/console/arcade stuff), but also, I'd been building pretty much non-stop for a few years before that and just got bored. I'm back now. I've currently got a few builds in progress just awaiting parts to land now before I can put them in boxes. I don't see me getting back to the 'must build everything' stage. But I've got such a backlog of sweet stuff in the PCB box that it's not like I'll be short of stuff to do. There's at least one AlanP uber project in there, a couple of Fredrik's, a few Bean's, etc.

I also think that you get to the stage, having built hundreds of pedals, that you know what you like in OD/Distortion/Fuzz/Delay/Phase/Reverb/Tremolo/etc and have your go-to's in each category. Barring surprise new stuff, there's not really any drive to build anything outside that. Indeed all I've been doing of late is asking Jason to make optimised versions of my favourite effects for the way I build them.

I'm not sure how active I'll be in pedal building any more. The unusual and challenging stuff always appeals. But once it's all said and done and you have that core of effects, I'm not sure where to go from there...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

I agree, it comes and goes.
As of late, I'm excited about the dminner cooperation a lot and also creating my own layouts have taken it a step further and rekindled interest. The last layout I did just because I had time to kill on a train ride and I was having fun, not because I craved the effect (DBA interstellar overdriver). I also don't build solely for the purpose of playing, it can also just be about the building process and the challenge it can come with.

What really brings the excitement back though is to really do something new, for me it's building my HiFi amp, which I planned completely on my own. It's a kick to switch it on and see if something goes up in flames or not  8)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Bret608

Quote from: jubal81 on September 27, 2016, 01:01:55 AM
I think a lot of us around here have been going through that lately.

Juan recently got me doing some PCB layouts for him and I've been reinvigorated - mostly about pushing myself to try new things and challenge myself. A little success goes a long way, too.

Teaser shot  ;)

That is nuts, man! I take it you're feeling settled in in your new home then...  ;D

jkokura

Quote from: chromesphere on September 27, 2016, 12:38:41 AM
I go through phases as well.  Sometimes im full of inspiration and ideas, others not.  I used to worry a little when i was in a lul, like i was neglecting something that i shouldnt be.  I dont these days because i always come back to pedals.  Lately i have been playing mansions of madness 2 and painting the miniatures (please dont judge me for that :) ).  The enthuasasm for painting was at a high and i thought it would be a good idea to try painting some enclosures as well.  That sort of, cross hobby interest is good for rekindling the fires too i have found.  So it can be beneficial to just do SOMETHING ELSE i guess. Just take a break from it, no one can be 100% enthuasastic about the same thing forever, its just not possible.

I paint my Imperial Assault Miniatures. I wish I had the funds for Mansions. Looks like fun.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

playpunk

I hear you. I moved to a new house last year, and we also had our 3rd child. My hobby time has gone back to cycling, which is my first love.

I haven't really finished a pedal in a year, but I spent a bunch of time pushing the pedals this summer. I'll end the year with about 2700 miles on the bike, which is my best year in a long time. I also finished the Shenandoah Mountain 100 (100 mile mtb race) which was a big goal of mine.

I'm hoping to finish up some builds this fall - I'm feeling the itch again.
"my legend grows" - playpunk