News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Icon series Pedal #4 - Razorback (high gain jfet plexi type thing)

Started by Willybomb, September 28, 2016, 02:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

While looking for an interesting project, I came across a layout in the Tagboard forums.  The linked video sounded great, so I decided to build this one.

It's named for the classic Ausploitation movie "Razorback", which is in turn what we call feral pigs over here.  If you haven't seen it, you probably should.  If you can, find the book - it's even better - and it will further convince you to stay home and never visit Australia.

The pedal schematic itself seems a lot like a Wampler Plexi, minus the tone controls.  I added a BMT marshall based tonestack and LPB-1 booster from another Tagboard layout and it makes it the sonic adjustment quite broad.  I also put the "Bright" switch on the "Bite" footswitch.  It makes a subtle difference, but it is there.  Bit more "something".  The switch made much more difference before I added the tonestack.

I also used 2sk118 jfets which are functionally identical to 2sk170 according to the datasheet bible at the LHS.

The dirt level starts at "Panama" and goes up from there.

Not a fan of the clearcoat I used for this.  It tends to craze on the curved edges once the box starts getting handled.

peterc

Very nice tones.

Did you put the LPB before or after the OD?

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Willybomb

It's after.  The dirt is definitely first, and as I understand the tone/boost circuit, it's tone into boost.

alanp

Here in NZ, we have Captain Cookers as far as feral pigs go. I already knew Aus was a bad place, what with venomous snakes, venomous spiders, the beer, venomous scorpions, the desert covering the whole place, etc etc etc :)

Might be worth a visit to play that pedal though ;) ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

The clearcoat was crazing, flaking, and just wasn't durable at all.  I pulled out the guts, gave it a quick rub and gave it a couple of coats of the lacquer I used on the Hyperactive Hyperdrive et al.

While I was there I checked the layout against what I'd actually soldered and fixed a stack of things...