News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4:1 Compressor build

Started by Dawnofzion, October 04, 2016, 01:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawnofzion

I finished up a 4:1 compressor build.  I call it the 'Ernest goes to comp compressor'.  I haven't put a ton of time playing the pedal yet.  The time I did play through it....it seemed to be a very subtle compression. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

Good old Ernest! Didn't that actor also play Jed Clampett in the modern movie?

Very nice job, especially on the resistors :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neandrewthal

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

tol

nice graphics! I LOVE my 4:1. you say it seems subtle? In comparison to a Dyna/Ross? Orange squeezer? Mine seems to have plenty of squash and sustain at extreme settings.

diablochris6

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

nzCdog

Dawnofzion

Quote from: tol on October 04, 2016, 04:29:01 AM
nice graphics! I LOVE my 4:1. you say it seems subtle? In comparison to a Dyna/Ross? Orange squeezer? Mine seems to have plenty of squash and sustain at extreme settings.

Honestly the effect is barely noticeable when it is on.  The clean knob definitely increases the volume, but the other two knobs don't seem to do much....if anything. I wonder if my opto is damaged or installed wrong?

chuckd666

Hey it sounds like you might have something wrong... it's a really squishy compressor when past 12 oclock! Definitely check your voltages and things.

tol

I think that blue dot indicates the + so i am guessing it's installed correctly. I've never burnt a vactrol in 10+ years of building. I usually install them last and use alligator clips to wick heat while soldering them.

alanp

That's one of my pet peeves for vactrols as a whole, actually -- I wish they'd indicate the CATHODE, rather than some nebulous plus or dot!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

I've cooked a couple of vactrols.  Too expensive to be killing them off but hasn't stopped me.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Dawnofzion

If I turn the clean knob all the way down is the signal supposed to go away?  With the clean pot turned down all the way I get nothing. 

Leevibe

Awesome build. The only thing I remember about that movie was when he was messing with the pack of wild badgers.

gordo

No sound in compression isn't a bad thing...at least for the vactrol.  Something is definitely amiss with the comp side.  Do the usual...triple check part values and noting polarity where applicable, reflow solder joints, and audio probe if available.  Concentrate on everything around IC2, since it sounds like IC1 is working.  It's hard to tell from the photo but is D1 backwards?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

tol

Quote from: Dawnofzion on October 07, 2016, 12:41:34 AM
If I turn the clean knob all the way down is the signal supposed to go away?  With the clean pot turned down all the way I get nothing. 

It's like it has two Vol controls. One for Clean, one for comp. So I still get signal with the clean knob all the way down IF I have the compression knob up. And the opposite should apply as well.