News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BYPASS BOARDS with polarity protection, power conditioning, etc.

Started by tol, October 04, 2016, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tol

Hey! I'm loving all the different bypass boards! Many of them include polarity protection via diode or mosfet. My question is, should I omit these components on a project PCB if the bypass pcb already has it? Will the extra diodes cause extra voltage drain if i don't? I already omit the LED resistor.

m-Kresol

that depends entirely on how it's set up. If the diode is in series with power (eg a 1n5817) you'll need to put it in or it won't work given that you wire the dc jack directly to the daughter board. If the same setup is on the main board you should jumper the diode there as you would have twice the voltage drop.

If however the diode is from 9V to GND (classic is a 1n4001), you can leave it off at one of the boards no problem, as the basically will be in parallel.

if there is more than one capacitor for smoothing out rippling current, they will also be in parallel and you can leave one of no problem. it won't hurt to have both though, but that also depends on how clean your DC voltage is to begin with.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

tol