News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TAPTATION BAD?

Started by A1Full, October 07, 2016, 08:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A1Full

It is possible, that is not as accurate Tap the pot 41100? this has 256 steps, and I think that is just for good, accuracy when setting the tempo
this is correct?

A1Full

no one has checked this? you bought your brian?

m-Kresol

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your question is. What project are you talking about? Brian does not have any tap tempo projects for the taptation chip if I'm not mistaken. He has got some for the taplfo chip though
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

A1Full

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 09, 2016, 08:44:48 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your question is. What project are you talking about? Brian does not have any tap tempo projects for the taptation chip if I'm not mistaken. He has got some for the taplfo chip though

I think I saw some project, but I guess they know and insurance have used it, so I wonder.

jkokura

The Taptation is accurate. Digital pots are not always accurate.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chuckd666

I built a Hamlet+ from your board Jacob and had this issue where the repeats were faster than what was tapped. The LED was in time however. I tried a bunch of PT2399s and a bunch of digipots. Still no go.. have you had anyone else report that issue?

jkokura

The issue is related to the digital pot. The Taptation is essentially generic but precise, meaning it puts out the same thing chip to chip. Digital pots have variance, meaning that chip to chip they're not identical.

I have occasionally had the same issue. It's normal and to be expected.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chuckd666

Cool, thanks for the intel. I bought a bunch of 5x of these a while back when I was troubleshooting: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-potentiometers/0403654/

I had the same issue with all of them. Is there another model that would be more precise that you're aware of?

jkokura

Usually they come in batches, so chances are high if you bought 5 at the same time than they are all the same, and don't match up well with the Taptation. I've experienced where i bought 10 of them, and all 10 of them were no good because they lagged. It's interesting that this application is so fussy about the value of the digital pot.

I would try another supplier for only 2, if you're willing. If you find that it doesn't help, you could also try emailing the DIYSB guys you got the Taptation from, and seeing if you could get them to supply you with a better match.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chuckd666

Thanks for the suggestions Jacob! I'll definitely look into it. :)

Boba7

I also had issues with PT2399 not syncing correctly with the taptation circuit. Tayda PT2399 mostly. They weren't synced to the tapped tempo or the tempo led. Then when I tried a better/verified PT2399 it was all good.

So check your PT2399 too.

chuckd666

Yeah I've sourced multiple PT2399s as well from different sources, it's weird.. got some bad luck. Will keep trying.