News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reversing the sweep on a potentiometer... do I need to reverse the taper too?

Started by cajone5, October 13, 2016, 07:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

So I am wiring up a tremshifter and the filter and trem rate pots in the existing schematic are wired such that the highest rates are full counter clockwise.  I would like that to be fully clockwise for my simple brain to more easily grasp the function of the controls.  The recommended wiring for these controls treats the pot like a variable resistor if I understand correctly (one wire to lug 1, the other two to lugs 2 and 3 as shown in the link below).  Both controls use an A1M pot.

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2015/12/deadastronaut-tremshifter.html

So, if I want to reverse the sweep, I believe I can just modify the wiring to have the first wire connect to lug 3 (instead of 1) and the second wire connect to lugs 1 and 2 (instead of 2/3).  However, since it's an "A" log-taper pot, would i need to use a "C" reverse-log-taper pot as well to get similar performance?  I am thinking I would but am not sure and was hoping someone smarter than me could shed some light here.

Could anyone verify/clarify?  I know I could test one with my multimeter and plot the results but would rather know before ordering.  Thanks madbeaners.  ;)

Leevibe

Yes. You can get the pot to work in the direction you want, but as you suspect, you will also need to use a C taper pot to get the same response curve.

cajone5

Thank you sir -- looks like I need to order more parts... so it goes.