News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad Kitty

Started by marauder, August 05, 2011, 10:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder

A Madbean Dinky Drive, on one of Haberdasher's boards.

Nice low gain overdrive, got to keep the treble low or else it rips your head off!

Could do with a bit more volume, but I suspect it's due to lack of gain recovery after the tone stack.

Credit for the graphics goes to my good friend Juansolo (and whoever did the original Bad Kitty).

night-B

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks great! Nice choice, kinda an uncommon build. You could make a small vero/perf LPB-1/SHO and put it at the end before the output. That would bring the volume back up!  :)
I'm a fan of JS decals!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

marauder

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 05, 2011, 12:05:26 PM
Looks great! Nice choice, kinda an uncommon build. You could make a small vero/perf LPB-1/SHO and put it at the end before the output. That would bring the volume back up!  :)
I'm a fan of JS decals!

Yeah, I was always wanting a AC30-alike, and the English Channel seemed like a good choice, but it would have been a huge chunk of vero.  Then I found out the Bad Cat Mini Cat II preamp was pretty much 3/4 of the English Channel, and Madbean made the boards.  Great!  Then, the store was shut down, and when it came back it was discontinued :( 

Luckily, Haberdasher started making the boards.

crashguitar

Nice build.

I have one of these waiting to be built. I am looking forward to getting it all together. I like AC30 stuff as well, so i am always looking for something along those lines.

nzCdog

Cool build, love your graphics :)

Haberdasher

Nice graphics and beautiful build.  I'm really kind of wanting to build this now.  I'm glad the board worked out.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

Really nice.  The graphic and guts!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

T_MBaker

Cool, super tidy build! Congratulations.

marauder

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 05, 2011, 12:05:26 PM
You could make a small vero/perf LPB-1/SHO and put it at the end before the output. That would bring the volume back up!  :)

I've had a little experiment, and bypassed the volume pot and it's much louder, I think I'll swap the pot for a larger value one and see what happens.  I'll report back my findings when I've done it.

chromesphere

Hey Marauder,
I built the dinky drive a while ago.  It has some pretty horrible tone settings.  I've found though that there is a sweet spot where it sounds excellent!  Same with the drive, like you said, low gain is where its at.  Gets a bit messy when you crank it i find (from memory).  Its a unique sounding pedal and i'm glad i built it.  Shame its discounted imo...

I tried to do a comparison test with my bad cat hot cat 30r's gain channel but they are too different to compare.  edit: sorry, wrong link, i never ended up recording it.

Anyway, nice build, sweet graphics!
Paul.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

marauder

I've got some volume out of it!!

I bypassed R8 (220k) on the output of the volume, and took the wire straight to the 33nf cap, and it's got much more output level, not a massive amount, but enough to make it very usable.  I can now turn the gain down, and it still has a volume boost.

Luckily, the cap was the big blue one, and had enough lead tucked away underneath it, to just clip the wire from the volume pot and solder it direct, all without taking the thing apart.  Not very tidy, but, taking apart would have resulted in broken solid core wire, and i didn't want to completely rewire, when only needing to move one.