News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moonshiner - GE Muff & Rangemaster

Started by zombie_rock123, October 12, 2016, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie_rock123

Well, first build report. Finally got my purple achievement unlocked with getting a sound out of an OSHPark order. I found a youtube video of a germanium big muff ages ago, and at that time there was only the one video of a GE transistor big muff. I found a few forum posts hinting at how to optimise the circuit for the transistors. After I assembled all the pieces on a Mudbunny board I then found digi2t(?)'s post on DIYStompboxes who had refined it, tweaked it and fully documented it. I realised there is nothing new under the sun!

I felt even with the tweaks it needed a little push so put a Rangemaster infront of it. Still the best boost to my ears. A massive thank you to Chromesphere for his amazing Diptrace videos. Without him I wouldn't have funded the OSHPark's Christmas party :D And thank you to Scruffie for spotting a couple of my bonehead mistakes.

Box is homemade, recycled from something else I folded it for, covered the holes with a faceplate. Never got the hang of reverse etching - the name disappeared - so had to etch and glue on a teeny license plate. The volume pot is backwards. I think the sustain is by chance a weird new taper not seen even by the likes of RG Keen as it maxes at noon, cuts out at 5 and goes funny at 7. I call it the "FU" taper.  But, all that aside, step on both the switches and it sounds amazing to me.

I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

glops

Man, your build report is prob the best I have ever read. Very funny and nice build too....

nzCdog

Ohhh... that faceplate! 8)
Tis a thing of beauty, thanks for sharing

selfdestroyer

That is awesome! That font is perfect for that artwork. Great job man!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

zombie_rock123

Cheers guys!

The font is the "Kashmir" Led Zep-esque one I snagged off a random site incase anyone fancies using it.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/