News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New finish technique

Started by madbean, October 19, 2016, 11:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

So cool.  On my to do list!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

Clear decals with black labelling on the enclosure before dyed envirotex would look very good, I think, font-dependent :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Finished product on the first enclosure. It's a Chunk Chunk!

madbean

Here's the other one finished off. I put a Bear Hug in it. Since I had an extra hole drilled, I had to come up with another control. First I tried a variable resistor off the source of Q1 (a 5kB in series with a 1k2 resistor instead of the 2k7) for a gain control. Then I tried a 10uF in parallel with a 2k7. Neither of those did much for me. So, I put a 22uF switched in parallel with C9. This seems to change the release time to about infinite (and makes the initial attack just a bit more pronounced it seems). Kind of a ridiculous mod but it's something.

mrclean77

The added "pop" you mentioned more than makes up for the slight change in shade/color, IMO. Mixing the dye in w/the E-tex ---- now that's CHEATING!  ;D 8)

They both look great & I hope somebody will throw that on top of an etched box for us all to oogle at.

madbean

With the dye mixed in the sides of the enclosure come out a bit weird. You get more of a tint rather than a solid color and the dye tends to collect around the bottom leaving a ring of color. Not much that can be done about that, I think.

I've got a couple other ideas on how to do the application with tinted envirotex so I'll update this thread if I make more progress.

Ralfg

Thanks for sharing this technique. I really want to try this. I'm really digging the final results. I've been getting into etching lately and filling in the tech with black paint to make it pop.  I wonder if the dye could go over that? Or do you think the dye would cover the paint?
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/