News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boss CS-2 Clone

Started by JC103, October 29, 2016, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC103

I am curious what compressor project I should look at if I wanted a decent approximation of the classic Boss CS-2?

thesmokingman

the boss cs-2 is more or less a dyna-comp style compressor with an attack control. so any dyna comp pcb project would do, just add in the attack control. some even have it as a built in feature.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Yep, its another OTA based compressor. Though Boss (ala Roland) used the goofy old SIL9 BA662 OTA rather than the more common CA3080. There are some sonic differences, and if you absolutely want as close to the old mojo as possible, a couple folks make clones of the old chip ( http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=455 ).

The Dyna' is close, as in it functions the same "way", but its up to you how much the precise tone matters to you. I dont have one handy but I'm sure clone layouts exist for the CS-2.

EDIT:
Ok techinically the BA662 is a VCA rather than an OTA, but my limited electrical engineering skills arent up to determining the difference between the two in this particular circuit (if there is one...)

JC103

Thanks for the info! Would the Aion Aurora be my best bet for a dyna/cs-2 project? https://aionelectronics.com/project/aurora-ross-dyna-compressor/

Boba7

I've never had a CS-2 but I built a few Aion Aurora, and I think it's the very best Ross compressor (with mods) available pcb. Just amazing.
Read the instructions well before ordering the parts, some values shown on the schematics are better slightly altered (thinking of the first 220pf cap, 150pf is better, it's written in the instructions)

JC103

Good to know Boba7, thanks. I love the CS-2! it is really the first comp that I have no second thoughts about using. I see why Gilmour has been using them since the 80's. Makes tubedrivers and big muffs sound awesome. I also have the Compulator clone by Rullywow, different sound but really cool tone as well. Very different than the CS-2 though (optical vs. vca).