News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by jimilee, November 05, 2016, 10:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Nothing wrong with a nice Goldtop.  Looks great.

Just curious, did you get a chance to compare this to a Standard?  What was the difference in feel and sound?  I haven't tried one of these yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

I did not, but I watched a lot of videos online. The Anderton videos are really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jprizz

Love the Goldtop! I don't think you can call yourself a bass player anymore though, you've surpassed the legal limit on guitar ownership  ;D

jimilee

Quote from: jprizz on November 07, 2016, 05:46:46 AM
Love the Goldtop! I don't think you can call yourself a bass player anymore though, you've surpassed the legal limit on guitar ownership  ;D
True story, this is #19, basses only number 9. I'm enjoying learning how to play guitar better.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

This isn't a new guitar.  It's not even a new guitar to me.  But I just had my 1969 Yamaha FG-180 totally restored.  Neck reset, and a total refret.  This is one of the famed "red label" Yammys.  It also doesn't hurt that my favorite songwriter, Elliott Smith played them.  The guitar is incredibly light (it's a laminated body), and it's got a soft, shallow V neck.  A previous luthier put a maple cap on the bridge plate to repair some damage, and it softened the tone up just a touch from a normal 180.  It's still got a very dry sound (sort of Martin like, which is expected, since the FG0180 was sort of a copy of a D28), but the shorter scale length combined with the maple cap adds a woody sound to the bass notes, which sounds a bit like one of my friend's Gibson J-45.  Yamaha acoustics from the late 60's to about the mid 70's (when they were made in Japan) are great sounding guitars.  I've been looking for an FG-75 from the same era, which is 00 size.

I fell in love with this instrument when it had awful frets and awful neck angle.  Now I'm totally smitten.

dan.schumaker

Very nice guitar!  My father-in-law has a red label Yamaha as well that has served him well since the mid 70's.  Its taken him up until now to find a Martin that he liked better (he bought a HD-28LSV recently).  I've always enjoyed playing his FG-180 when we get together.

jimilee

Very cool, favorite guitars just feel like home.