News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

the MBV reverse delay sound

Started by movinginslomo, November 07, 2016, 05:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

purchased a digitech x-series digiverb for it's reverse reverb setting (few pedals do this) to get that My Bloody Valentine Keven Shields thing going. Now two youtube vids contradict each other once says before the distortion, one says after. Is anyone here into that of has done this? I can't get get that vibe going for the life of me

EDIT: reverse REVERB not reverse delay my bad

chuckd666

Do you have a vibrato bridge on your guitar? ;)

Cortexturizer

is't reverse reverb what you need? I may be wrong
and yeah a vibrato bridge on the guitar is a must for that kind of sound. I'd recommend a Mustang even though Kevin is a Jaguar user, the easiest and coolest vibrato bridge ever
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Bret608

I remember reading years ago that it's a reverse reverb sound. He used some Yamaha rackmount unit to get that. I'd guess distortion comes first judging by his propensity for pedals.

With the vibrato on my Mustang, I've never had much trouble getting close to his sound. You just kind of keep working it as you strum chords, mainly pulling up on the bar. It will get that almost backwards sound, particularly with a healthy amount of overdrive.

In other Kevin Shields-related items, I took a look at the R.M. Voodoo Vibe on his pedalboard, which has the settings conveniently marked. I set my Pangea vibe up the same way--instant MBV! It's a dreamy, thick tremolo setting.

thesmokingman

do share the settings for the voodoo vibe
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

selfdestroyer

I have had a lot of fun and kind of sounded like MBV with the following (The gear really doesn't matter much, just what I use):

Path follows list
Jazzmaster
digitech RV-7
Bigmuff or a Rat
70's Bassman

The RV-7 has a great reverse reverb and also a great gated reverb that nails a lot of the shoegaze stuff. I need to play with the RV-7 more to get used to it as playing with reverse reverb can be really weird at first.

I also have been experimenting with my Strymon Big Sky and using some nonlinear settings. Adding dirt after a reverb can get you that lush "wall of sound" pretty quickly.

Cody

Strategy

A rackmount from that era which might have it, Yamaha SPX90. Always cheap and abundant, yet enjoys a cult status

Cortexturizer

Digitech RV7 is an awesome and overlooked reverb pedal. I should buy one and leave it in a drawer.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

movinginslomo

Yes the Yamaha SPX90, couldn't find one in my budget at the time. Sot's also the tremolo pedal and vibrato bar? And please do post those voodoo vibe settings

Bret608

Quote from: Strategy on November 08, 2016, 09:41:53 PM
A rackmount from that era which might have it, Yamaha SPX90. Always cheap and abundant, yet enjoys a cult status

Here you go:

Mode: Tremolo
Waveform: Middle notch on "classic" group (i.e. second notch from right)
Speed: 2:00
Symmetry: 11:00
Intensity: 5:00
Bias: 1:00-2:00
Volume: 5:00

gül

Quote from: chuckd666 on November 07, 2016, 09:00:27 PM
Do you have a vibrato bridge on your guitar? ;)

Rumor has it that MBV used the pitch knob on their tape machines to get those detuned warbles. I've done it on my tape machines and it's such a cool effect!

Addy Bart

There's several Yamaha units with the reverse reverb algorithm Shields uses. I have an FX500. It's great for that Slowdive wash as well.

Look at the tohereknowsweb forum... There's a former roadie who occasionally posts there about the set up MBV used back in the day.

selfdestroyer

Also might want to look a the new Keeley Loomer pedal.. I did and now gassing over it pretty bad. Seems like a nice "all in one" package.

Cody

movinginslomo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 10, 2016, 12:58:00 PM
Also might want to look a the new Keeley Loomer pedal.. I did and now gassing over it pretty bad. Seems like a nice "all in one" package.

Cody

gggg GAHHA damn you. Had to look that up. me want. also UNAVAILABLE anywhere. :(