News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Reverberation Machine (DBA)

Started by Addy Bart, November 09, 2016, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Addy Bart

Thanks to m-Kresol for making the boards available at OSHPark. Felix's layout makes use of the newer BTDR-3 bricks that have adjustable decay. I've built this pedal twice now, the first time using the older brick which has a bit more modulation going on. I did tinker around with the resistors in the dry path of the circuit to get more dirt from the gain control.

Here's a quick phone recording from earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0xo2dmnpZU

selfdestroyer

That came out great! Sounds awesome.

Can you share what changes you made for it to get a bit dirtier? I have this built up but have not boxed it up yet since it just doesn't get dirty no matter how hard I push it with my Jazzmaster. I get a bit of grit with my SG humbuckers but I don't use the SG as a primary player.

I would love to get results like yours.

Cody

Addy Bart

Thanks Cody.
Sure, these are the resistors I changed. Refer to the schematic in the build doc at OSHPark (Rubidium Reverb):
R5: 47k (this is the one that gives you more gain in the dry path)
R16: 5k6 (this is for the sunshine part of the reverb)
I tried a B2M pot for the gain but went back to a 1M log pot. Seems a bit more useful to me.
I used a TL074 instead of the more obscure TLC27... I started out with the latter but I couldn't hear any difference between them, and as I'm selling this build, opted for the op amp that's easier to find.
Hope this helps :-)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Addy Bart on November 09, 2016, 06:32:49 PM
Thanks Cody.
Sure, these are the resistors I changed. Refer to the schematic in the build doc at OSHPark (Rubidium Reverb):
R5: 47k (this is the one that gives you more gain in the dry path)
R16: 5k6 (this is for the sunshine part of the reverb)
I tried a B2M pot for the gain but went back to a 1M log pot. Seems a bit more useful to me.
I used a TL074 instead of the more obscure TLC27... I started out with the latter but I couldn't hear any difference between them, and as I'm selling this build, opted for the op amp that's easier to find.
Hope this helps :-)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain that. Really appreciate it. Now lets see if I can get to the bench tonight.

Cody

Boba7

Sounds like a great circuit, and a nice pedal ! Do you have a gut pic? :)

m-Kresol

Hi addy,

great build and great demo. Is it cool if I implement a link to your demo in the build doc?
Do you plan on doing any graphics? and of course, I demand a gut shot too ;)

Cody, I'll go over the part values again today to see if BOM and schematic values match up. I've built two of these now and they sounded identical and I thought that they could be quite dirty, but maybe that's just my taste/opinion, idk.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Addy Bart

Sure thing Felix :-)
I think this one will be without graphics as it's for a friend and he wants to keep the price down (ha).
Here's a couple of better photos. I still need to solder in the LED!

m-Kresol

thanks. I updated the doc, also realized that the title was wrong. must have overwritten it while doing the dubnium drive doc.

is this one of the new polished/buffed tayda enclosures or did you do it yourself?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Addy Bart

Well spotted! I tried out the electric buffer that I'd bought for cleaning the plexiglass on the balcony. It was a bit of a rush job but it looks like it works... next time I'll put some proper effort in to getting a nice shine.

KT

a bit late to the party but I have some problems. I've tested the kresol pcb with two different BTDR-3 bricks and at high decay settings there always is a annoying (reverbed)-hum in the background. With with the older bricks and these PCBs this problem does not occur. 

stringsthings

Nice build!  The demo sounds great.
All You Need Is Love

Addy Bart

Quote from: stringsthings on June 27, 2018, 03:31:11 AM
Nice build!  The demo sounds great.

Cheers! I made another one a while back. I took out the 470pF cap in the gain part of the circuit, brightening the fuzz.

KT

and no problems with noise addy bart when using the BTDR-3?

Addy Bart

Quote from: KT on June 28, 2018, 12:20:30 AM
and no problems with noise addy bart when using the BTDR-3?

I haven't had the problems you describe. But I used a BTDR-3 that I ordered a long time ago from Small Bear.

I'm not sure what to suggest... maybe contact the vendor to see if this is a common problem with the new bricks. Hope you manage to fix it... those things aren't cheap!

blearyeyes

That does sound really good! Great pedal.