News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One

Started by Axeman, November 09, 2016, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axeman

Hi everyone new here and would like to introduce myself. I've been building Marshall Plexi clones for about ten years now and never looked into pedals other than a TS. After stumbling across Aion web site I was very impressed of all the option of pedals that can be made rite at home. Kevin referred me to this web site for a Octavia and a Uni-Vibe project. After finishing my Octavia without any problems I dove rite into the HarbingerOne, finished it and was very happy that my enclosure married up perfectly to the pcb, pot's and switches. One problem, it does not work. I can't figure it out, I followed every detail of the PDF instructions and the light does not pulsate and when I press the on and off switch, no sound.
Can someone help.

Jules

It could be any number of things really and there is a protocol to follow when trouble shooting builds.
Photos of both sides of the board and voltages of the ICs will be requested before you are likely to get help.
Double check the values of resistors and caps, it is very easy to accidentally put a wrong value in somewhere on a build of this size, experienced or not.
Check the instructions of what to do in the tech help sub forum.
Good luck mate, trouble shooting can be a bit of a long arduous process but very satisfying to find the answer, cheers

selfdestroyer

Take a look at this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

The more information you can give us the better we all can help you troubleshoot. Troubleshooting is definitely a PIA especially if you have had such a good track record with builds. Another thing to try is to search the "Tech Help - Projects Page" for others that have had problems with the Harbinger One to see if they were having the same issues as yourself and might have gotten resolved.

Hope this helps some.
Cody

Axeman

OKay, here's an update on my issue. Voltage reading. Very close.

Axeman

Okay I checked all the resistors "Visual Color Code" and all are correct.

Axeman

Can Someone please tell me which Transistor controls the light that give it the strobe effect.

drolo

Hi Axeman, could you describe the issue more precisely.
You said that when you press the on/off switch there is no sound, does that mean, no sound either in bypass and effected mode ?

the light does not pulsate but is it on? does the LED rate indicator pulsate ?

Your voltages look ok as you mentioned so it could be the wiring of the rate pot.

Does adjusting any of the pots and trimmers change anything ?

Axeman

You said that when you press the on/off switch there is no sound, does that mean, no sound either in bypass and effected mode ?

the light does not pulsate but is it on? does the LED rate indicator pulsate ? The light  in side the enclosure is on but very weak, but does not pulsate. The LED is also on and does not pulsate,

Your voltages look ok as you mentioned so it could be the wiring of the rate pot.

Does adjusting any of the pots and trimmers change anything ? The trim pots only make the light go on, but again very week. The rate haves no effect. Now, I do get a very very weak sound with no effect and a clean sound when bypassing the pedal (switch) on/off

drolo

It's perhaps something in the area of the LFO. You are getting supply voltage to the LFO and lamp driver transistors but no movement Q11 Q12 Q13. Check the connections of your rate pot. and if there are any shorts or loose connections around that area.

Axeman

My voltage readings on Q11,12 and 13 are good.

pdhonte

Hi,
What are the typical voltage oscillations values at Q13's collector? Can you also check the voltages at the bulb, and the continuity along Q13, the gain trim and R47?

Pierre.

Axeman

pdhonte

Hello,

So the LFO's where the problem is. You've reported fixed voltages at Q13's collector and Q11/12 bases and emitters, but they should vary. Can you check that?
I would also check the wiring of the speed pot and solder in the LFO and pulsating LED circuits, the two parts down the schematic.

Pierre.

Axeman

Q11 E- 0.00 B- 0.04 C- 14.91
Q12 E- 0.02 B- 0.00 C- 14.91
Q13 E- 0.46 B- 1.20 C- 11.32
As far as the speed pot goes, this what the instructions say about the bout "BTW: It does not matter which row of
lugs is wired to SPD1 or SPD2 onthe PCB (just that both sets are actually wired)" I followed the instruction and checked the speed pot. Looks correct.

Thanks for your help

pdhonte

So you should check your soldering in that area of the schematic, I don't know what else. I'd start around the trim pots and check if turning them changes Q13's voltages, because they should at least let you get a bright lamp.
Pierre.