News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guvnor Tim and The Enchanter

Started by juansolo, November 17, 2016, 05:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Pretty much caught up now. The Enchanter is a slightly updated version of the Catch-22. We just removed the switch (you can still add the diodes in your preferred config), reversed one of the pots (it was still backwards) and re-laid it out to what we use as standard.

The Guvnor Tim is a Grind Catch-22 and a Fuzzdog Guvnor clone in a box, for a bloke on TFB in the UK.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Adam_DIY

They look awesome.  I do love the catch 22 mine has been permanently on my board since I finished it.

playpunk

On the stock catch 22 which way do the knobs work? I'm thinking of building another soon
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Timko

Do you draw your own artwork?  I've always loved the style you have on your pedals.

Boba7

Quote from: playpunk on November 17, 2016, 08:50:38 PM
On the stock catch 22 which way do the knobs work? I'm thinking of building another soon

Same here! :)

jubal81

Damnation those look awesome.

And love seeing the plan come together - how simple and easy the wiring setup is, especially with a multi.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Boba7

Quote from: jubal81 on November 17, 2016, 09:21:06 PM

And love seeing the plan come together - how simple and easy the wiring setup is, especially with a multi.

Totally agree. Amazing.

Boba7

I should probably start another thread in the dedicated forum, but looking at the schematics I believe the bass pot is still acting like the original (cw=cut bass).
Also PaulC posted here a little while ago that the 18k resistor should be soldered between lug 1 and 2, not 1 and 3.
And finally, the Timmy seems to have a 4,7nf between pin 6 and 7 of the opamp (parallel to 3k3). Dont know what it does though.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Your builds are always so clean on the inside, I just look at them for entire minutes.

juansolo

Quote from: Timko on November 17, 2016, 08:57:43 PM
Do you draw your own artwork?  I've always loved the style you have on your pedals.

Nah, it's all pinched. Sometimes it's manipulated in Photoshop to work... Sometimes quite heavily!

Quote from: jubal81 on November 17, 2016, 09:21:06 PM

It's all about making things simple. Simple to use and simple to build. Much like the stomp board, just having the pads on both sides was specifically for making multis easier. Also adding 18v and -9v pads on things, again, to make multis easier, even if you don't use them. I think it makes the actual boxing up of these things so much more satisfying in all honesty when things aren't needlessly complicated.

I am REALLY very pleased with all the PCBs so far. Totally on-point and perfect. The delay in particular is a masterpiece in every respect! *doffs cap to the layout meister*

Quote from: Boba7 on November 17, 2016, 09:57:18 PM
I should probably start another thread in the dedicated forum, but looking at the schematics I believe the bass pot is still acting like the original (cw=cut bass).
Also PaulC posted here a little while ago that the 18k resistor should be soldered between lug 1 and 2, not 1 and 3.
And finally, the Timmy seems to have a 4,7nf between pin 6 and 7 of the opamp (parallel to 3k3). Dont know what it does though.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Your builds are always so clean on the inside, I just look at them for entire minutes.

It is indeed and it's the thing we fixed on The Enchanter. If you build a Catch 22 swap the 1 and 3 on the bass pot and use C taper pots for the Bass and Treble for things to be the normal way around.

The vol pot thing is interesting. You'd assume it's there to get it back to the region of a 10k pot with a more agreeable taper. Which across pins 1 and 3 it appears to have...

Hmmm, we don't have the parallel cap, will have to tack that on and see what difference it makes.

Timko

Quote from: juansolo on November 17, 2016, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Timko on November 17, 2016, 08:57:43 PM

Nah, it's all pinched. Sometimes it's manipulated in Photoshop to work... Sometimes quite heavily!

I do the same thing with my etches, aside from the geometrical patterns I do.

Boba7

Quote from: juansolo on November 17, 2016, 10:05:38 PM
The vol pot thing is interesting. You'd assume it's there to get it back to the region of a 10k pot with a more agreeable taper. Which across pins 1 and 3 it appears to have...

Hmmm, we don't have the parallel cap, will have to tack that on and see what difference it makes.

Here's PaulC post:
Quote from: paulc on August 22, 2016, 09:28:02 PM
Thread necro...  sorry about that, but I've not really dug around this board much in the past.  The 25ka/18k resistor volume change is not about making a 25k pot  a 10k value.  The resistor is wired from input to wiper, and not in parallel with the whole pot.  This was just to come up with a tweaked taper that would put the voltage divider at -12dB at 50% rotation for unity gain at that setting.  Both the 25ka and 10ka pots put unity at about 2 o'clock with all the boosting bunched up from 2 to 5 o'clock.  Linear taper pots had it around 9 o'clock which was a horribly jumpy taper.  This is based around a +12dB zero gain setting, so once the gain is turned up it gets thrown out the window and really doesn't matter.
From here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=18197

Dont think I have C50ks right now, I'll try linear for both bass and treble and we'll see.
I'll try the cap too, no idea what its role is! It doesnt seem to appear on any schematics online but it is definitely on the gut shots, and on Tagboard layout for the Tim. Odd.

juansolo

We'll certainly have a play. Need to build another one at some point anyhow.

jimilee

Quote from: juansolo on November 17, 2016, 10:29:06 PM
We'll certainly have a play. Need to build another one at some point anyhow.
Will we have a crack at some JuanFX boards to build?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

Entirely possible. Need to see what Rej wants to do and take it from there as some are just updates of or changes to Grind boards. The Deux Profundis schematic has been done forever and that was planned to replace the De Profundis which he might still want to do. I personally don't want to get into selling PCBs and the hassles that come with it (not to mention I only have a finite supply of crap greetings cards). That's not to say that if nothing with Grind comes off, I might not do some Group Buys if there's enough interest. It's easy enough to get small runs of them done.