News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stuffing a PCB

Started by oldsoul, November 21, 2016, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsoul

I have a couple of basic stuffing questions. 1) When bending resistor leads for  a MB Kingslayer for example. The smallest gauge on my wire bending tool seems a little big.  I still have to adjust the leads to fit in properly. Also should there be a little space between the component and the board. 2) when using box caps like WIMA's how do you prevent them from falling out when you turn the board over to solder them?p
High Tech by day-Old School at Night

playpunk

I just use small pliers to bend leads.

For caps and resistors, I stuff em through, then flip the board and bend the legs out, holding the component to the board.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

dbp512

like playpunk said, when I place a component, I bend both leads so when I flip it over they don't fall out. I also try to put in all the components of the same height so when I flip it over on the table they rest flat with the PCB level on top. I'll flux and clip one lead of each component and solder it on, which allows me to do the same with the other leads without worrying about things moving around.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

wgc

Nothing wrong with placing parts flush. (Unless you have to bend them in a harsh way to do so.)

Some people find blue tak putty to be helpful in holding parts in place too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Coda-effects

For Wima capacitors, I usually go from the lowest to the tallest caps.
I place them on the board, and them I place a piece of cardboard on the top of the PCB, flip it, and place the PCB with the piece of cardboard on the table. Then, I juste remove the cardboard and start soldering.

icecycle66

I second blue tak. You can get it pretty much anywhere.
https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10206&item=3376963&gclid=CO-o_d-Iv9ACFRVrfgodZV8GTA

I don't even bother bending my leads on the other side of a PCB any more. 
I press the blue tak to cover an enclosure base plate.
I put all the component in them there holes.
Then I press the base plate against the top of the pcb to keep everything in place.
Then flip it all over and solder with all the leads pointed straight up.   

m-Kresol

I actually don't use anything to keep components neat. I just populate a few (starting with the lowest height, ie. resistors, diodes...) turn the pcb over and solder one leg each. Then I check if they are aligned and sit flat on the pcb. Like that I can still reflow the pad and push the part in, if necessary or solder the second lead directly.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

galaxiex

Quote from: m-Kresol on November 23, 2016, 06:35:01 AM
I actually don't use anything to keep components neat. I just populate a few (starting with the lowest height, ie. resistors, diodes...) turn the pcb over and solder one leg each. Then I check if they are aligned and sit flat on the pcb. Like that I can still reflow the pad and push the part in, if necessary or solder the second lead directly.

This ^^^^

I do this...  :)

Edit;
Well.... Ok....
Sometimes I use Blu Tack or equivalent to hold the odd part in place,
but I still just tack solder one lead and check position before final solder.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

davent

I use one of those horrid third hands that i modified. I'll populate all the low stuff first place a scrap of 1x2 atop the pcb flip it all over then grab the elevated pcb with the third hand. Stays level resting on the wood scrap so the parts stay flat to the pcb while soldering.

Next tallest goes in next... solder, taller...

Never bend the leads over.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

devilsnight

I use masking tape. Drop a few components through, 1x1 piece of tape to hold em flush to the board and solder away. then i stick the tape to whatever is sitting around and repeat. I guess the look of bent legs coming through the solder side bothers me, dono why... Also never even seen a bending tool before, I've bent enough components to know the right spacing i suppose :) Needle nose pliers works good if you need it!

somnif

I use a "soldering aid tool" for bending leads (gives me better 90 degree angles than free handing it). Cost all of 2 bucks at a local electronics supply place:

I populate boards a dozen or so bits at a time, and use blu-tack to hold them in place, though a bit differently than most. I use little bits to glue down individual parts for the process. Bit OCD of me, sure, but gives me better control at keeping things flush and clean, and I leave less annoying bits and scraps of blutack on the leads to clean up later.

(Yes I am aware its silly and needlessly time consuming, but it works for me)

stringsthings

I may have to try some of that blu-tac stuff.   I've made do with bending the leads at 45 degree angles or so.  After soldering one lead of the parts, I check for good placement before doing the other lead(s).
All You Need Is Love