News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One

Started by Timko, November 24, 2016, 07:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

This is the 4th phaser I've built, and I have to say, Madbean's comments about this being richer and lusher than any phaser is on point.  I recorded on my phone that I sent to a buddy, and you could hear the dimension of the phaser through the phone mike!  This thing is really amazing sound wise.  I'm still tweaking the gain/offset trim pots to see what else is in here, but so far, I've found some really great effect settings.

The build and setup went pretty smoothly.  I got a faucet cover from Ace Hardware that I covered with reflective tape on the inside, then black electrical tape around the edges and over the outside, like Madbean did in the build doc.  I noticed that the rate light only starts lighting up around 10:00 or so, so I'll troubleshoot that, but the phaser still sound great.

The etch was a little rough on the edge because I wasn't steady enough with the fingernail polish and thought I could use it to repair some mask that didn't transfer from the paper when ironing.  The answer there was a resounding no :).  However, I really like the overall design, and I really like the landscape setup, like an old ELX pedal.

m-Kresol

I love the vibe of the build! (see what I did there?! ;D)

seriously, cool etch!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

darrenw6000

stringsthings

Very nice.   This makes me want to build one.  I really like the EHX type layout.
I like the etch.  It has a vintage vibe to it and matches the layout.  I'm thinking of using EHX type knobs to see if they work.

Are you using an 18v wallwart or the 9v charge pump?
All You Need Is Love

selfdestroyer

Great etch, love the detail in the fonts.

Cody

Timko

Quote from: stringsthings on November 24, 2016, 10:01:11 PM
Are you using an 18v wallwart or the 9v charge pump?

I opted for the 9v charge pump. I didn't have an 18V on hand to do an a/b compare.

hylandren

Man I wish I had the skills to build that pedal! Nice job throughout. Sounds like you may not be all that happy with that etch, but I think it has a GREAT road-worn look, like a beloved pedal that's been on someone's pedalboard for a long time. Be proud of that build inside and out!

Quote from: Timko on November 24, 2016, 07:22:06 AM
The etch was a little rough on the edge because I wasn't steady enough with the fingernail polish and thought I could use it to repair some mask that didn't transfer from the paper when ironing.

Whenever you get areas where the mask didn't transfer, you can still often save it:
First just make sure to get nail varnish on those places where the mask didn't transfer, but you don't want etched.
When you do that, no matter how careful you are, you almost always have areas that are "overpainted."(Accidentally painted where you didn't want paint to be.) Just let it dry thoroughly.
Then get an exacto blade (with a brand new blade) and a magnifier. Slowly cut through the nail varnish where the edge of the mask  should have been.  Then lightly scratch the enclosure with just the very tip of the exacto blade where the paint shouldn't be, and you'll be amazed how cleanly the excess paint will come off and how much you can repair a less than perfect resist.  I've repaired several masks that way, and they ended up so that you couldn't tell they were ever repaired at all...

Timko

Thanks!  That's some great advice. I'll be sure to give that a shot in the future.