News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Maestro Fuzz Tone repair

Started by Mattallica, December 04, 2016, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattallica

I have a 1968 Maestro Fuzz Tone on my bench that I'm repairing for a friend. The problem with the pedal is that the volume is *severely* reduced when the effect is turned on, nearly to the point of being inaudible. I've checked with my multimeter that the circuit is receiving 1.5 volts from the AA battery and the battery is new. I've also confirmed that the polarity is correct for the incoming DC voltage from the battery. Finally, I've confirmed that the problem is not related to the input/output jacks or pots as I have cleaned and tested all of them.

Could the problem be a bad transistor? It has 3 PNP Germanium 2N2614 trannys. There are also 2 polarized electrolytic caps and various old-style carbon comp resistors, but everything looks to be in good working order with no visual indication of burnt resistors, bloated caps, or anything of the like.

I'm just wondering if this kind of badly reduced output volume is a symptom of a bad tranny. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks d00ds!

darrenw6000

Sounds like it could be a tranny. Try reflow the solder on them but don't heat them for too long. Also worth seeing if your signal is being grounded any part of the pcb or wires touching the casing.

fredwreck

Check the Capacitors, usually those are the first to fry

Coda-effects

Fun, I just had one to repair recently!
http://www.coda-effects.com/2016/12/vintage-maestro-fuzz-tone-fz1-1966.html
1968 is an interesting period because I think that is when they started to build them in Lincolnwood instead of Kalamazoo.

Could you check your serial number and the factory (written below the Gibson Logo on the faceplate)? I am collecting data in order to make a serial number database for this effect.

I would check the capacitors as well. The electrolytic capacitors tend to leak when they get old.
Another solution would be to audio probe to check when the signal becomes lower.

Mattallica

Hey Coda it's 43737, and it says "Kalamazoo Michigan" on the enclosure (heh, where I live!) I'm just down the road from the old Parsons St. plant. Pot code reads "1376801" which indicates Jan. 1968 if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll try these and report back, will also try to post some pics this week.