News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top Mounted Jacks

Started by sonnyboy27, November 28, 2016, 05:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy27

Does anyone have a template for a 125B with top mounted jacks and power? One that accommodates board mounted pots would be great.

I'm trying to put one of Aion's boards into a 125B to start moving all my pedals to top mounted jacks.

m-Kresol

I generally use the one that comes with the Zirconia project by lectric-fx:

http://lectric-fx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ZiRCONiACompressor_V.1.1.pdf

I vary the vertical position a bit depending on if the jacks have to be above the pcb or just the pots (you know, when the stick out over the top of the pcb). and I use Lumberg-style jacks exclusively. Also you might want to consider to stick some of the components in the jack area on the solder side, depending on their height and space on the other side of course.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

I believe that both grindcustom fx templates and the general guitar gadgets have them as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cajone5

Quote from: m-Kresol on November 28, 2016, 05:59:08 AM
I generally use the one that comes with the Zirconia project by lectric-fx:

http://lectric-fx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ZiRCONiACompressor_V.1.1.pdf

I vary the vertical position a bit depending on if the jacks have to be above the pcb or just the pots (you know, when the stick out over the top of the pcb). and I use Lumberg-style jacks exclusively. Also you might want to consider to stick some of the components in the jack area on the solder side, depending on their height and space on the other side of course.

I used the GCFX template with mixed results.  It's really tight for the jacks and the screw splines in the enclosure.  I don't think it showed vertical placement either (I just eyeballed that).  I'll try this next time though.  Thanks for linking that!

sarde

I used the general guitar gadgets template to do two top mounted enclosures tonight (1776 reverb and an aion aurora). it worked well; although I did move the power jack up a little (it looked a little too close to the edge.)

There is so much space with a 125b already (especially if you forgo the 9v battery) that moving the pcb down to give extra clearance is easily doable...provided the pots are still high enough to not get in the way. My claim to fame is that I fit a standard switchcraft jack over a dual gang pot in a 125b with no issues (no template on that one, just a lot of measuring and praying).
Check out some of my projects over at https://pendragonguitarworks.wordpress.com/

sonnyboy27

I was able to use the GGG template and it worked out really well. Probably just gonna stick to that routine in the future. I will say that I probably need to switch to those smaller power jacks Lawrence sells just for peace of mind. My unibit is fairly used at this point and wandered a bit too close to the walls and risked grounding out the jacks (actually happened in one). So using a smaller power jack would probably be in my best interest.

dbp512

I just built and boxed a pair of aion's boards. I have a generic template I made a while ago since I normally top mount jacks. I found with aion's boards, I had to move his included drill template down a bit so that the jacks wouldn't push against anything tall like caps. It might have been easier if the board was mounted lower, but I kept the nuts on the toggle switches so there was enough room so the pots wouldn't short out (also, I needed to swap the locations of 2 pots on the cerulean because I refuse to put volume to the left of gain. I just eyeballed it and it worked fine. I probably could have moved the board a few mm closer to the jacks, but I didn't want to risk it and end up with an enclosure I couldn't use.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

sonnyboy27

I did have to shift the board down a bit to account for the taller caps in my Cerulean.

Quote from: dbp512 on January 03, 2017, 09:48:49 AM
also, I needed to swap the locations of 2 pots on the cerulean because I refuse to put volume to the left of gain.
Why?

dbp512

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on January 03, 2017, 10:02:49 AM
I did have to shift the board down a bit to account for the taller caps in my Cerulean.

Quote from: dbp512 on January 03, 2017, 09:48:49 AM
also, I needed to swap the locations of 2 pots on the cerulean because I refuse to put volume to the left of gain.
Why?

Not sure. I guess I'm just a bit OCD like that. I started building on stripboard, so I had complete control over where each knob went. For no reason in particular I put gain on the left, volume on the right, and tone in the middle, to form a triangle. Since I don't etch/decal/label my enclosures, having one different from everything else I've made would be be difficult to use, as I'm sure force of habit would cause me to move the wrong one.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk