News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You know that feeling you get?

Started by Leevibe, December 04, 2016, 10:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

When you go to fire up your iron and you realize it's been on since Friday afternoon? Yeah, I just had that feeling.

selfdestroyer

Oh man, I have done over night but never 2 days... I was thinking of trying one of those "smart" sockets that can alert your iPhone/Android phone when its left on. Might be over kill but I would hate to burn down my garage over me forgetting to shut it off. I mean, I have only done this once, but it scared me. lol

jubal81

Yeeouch!

Same as Cody - I've gone overnight,but never two days. How's the tip look?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on December 04, 2016, 11:12:01 PM
Yeeouch!

Same as Cody - I've gone overnight,but never two days. How's the tip look?

That's the funny thing. He tip is just fine. I had it dimed too. 45w iron. This is my secondary iron that I use when I'm away from my bench. Good ol' Xytronic.

EBRAddict

I have a Cold War era Pace, it will cut the temp back to 320F after a period of no use.

It's helpful because as soon as I sit down to do some soldering it's inevitable someone will telephone or find something for me to do.

pickdropper

My main irons are all stupid proof (which is unfortunately necessary).

The Weller WD1002 version I have has a microswitch in the iron stand.  You can program when it ratchets down and what it goes down to.  IIRC, I've set mine to go down to 300F if I don't use it for 20 minutes.  After 40min or an hour (can't remember) then it goes down to 0.  When I pick up the soldering pencil, the microswitch can detect I've picked it up and it quickly comes back up to temp.

My Metcal/OKI MFR-2241 isn't programmable, but it does have a "smart" stand (I think they just put a magnet it in) that keeps the temperature low when the pencil is in it.  It also has a sleep mode it goes into if it's not used for a while.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

My Weller powers down if left inactive 99 minutes.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

nzCdog

Left my hakko at work on over the weekend once.  Ooops

galaxiex

I have a power strip with a switch on it, mounted to my bench.

My iron and articulated desk lamp are plugged into it.
The lamp stays switched on with its own switch.
The iron I turn on and off with its own switch.

When I leave the room I switch off the power strip. The lamp goes out.  ;)

If I've forgotten the iron on, the power strip switch off takes care of it.   ;D
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

stringsthings

Now I don't feel so bad for leaving mine on for an hour when I left the room.  :)
All You Need Is Love

Leevibe

At least it was all warmed up for me. Haha.