News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MOLECULAR COMPACTOR (Spin Semi FV-1 based)

Started by drolo, December 05, 2016, 06:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dminner

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 07, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
really need to go into commercial operations with stuff like this, its really amazing.

For real! I would buy one! In fact, if you would consider selling a complete pedal pm me ;)

kinski

If programming the chip isn't too hard, I'd order one too!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

raulduke

This is awesome work as usual dude.

I'd buy a PCB or two (bet you knew that already though eh  ;D)

drolo

Thanks for your comments and for your interest in PCB's
I am going to organize a group buy for these but I am still figuring out some details.
Mainly the issue of the mini rotary 8 position switches needed.

The source I had for these does not carry them any longer. They are much harder to find than the 2p4t ones that are used in many projects these days. I have some left but I am hanging on to them as they are great. I finally found another source and ordered some. Once I get them (china post) and confirm they are good I will be able to sell them with the PCB's. If not I will need to find another way (possibly redesigning the PCB for more common switches)

I will keep you posted

P.S. if anyone would know where to find these from a reliable source that would be great.
I have not found out yet who makes these. The model seems to be called SR16. (incidentally I saw in one of Keeley's shop movies that he uses them in his FV1 pedals ... perhaps I should just ask him ...)

Strategy

jubal81

Love this switch, which I used in the Brazen Bull. Very high quality and actuation feels great. Downside is price and fitting with 9mm pots.
Thought about a push button and electronic switching? Maybe a rotary encoder ...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/SR1712F-0204-20F0A-N9-N-027/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujuSFdWxZdTftuAGiL2g07Y50gwMqkHPksxFlt6OtAZLA%3d%3d
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bluescage

nzCdog

Egad.  Brilliant design, love it!  Must have a pcb! 8)

kinski

What do you guys recommend for programming the chip? Some piece of hardware to connect to the computer, I imagine.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: kinski on January 25, 2017, 05:34:34 PM
What do you guys recommend for programming the chip? Some piece of hardware to connect to the computer, I imagine.

I love my Pickit 2 and/or 3 .. Its simple and works on PC & Mac

I actually own them both and just use the one that is on my bench at the time.

Cody

kinski

Thanks! Do you recommend any specific software as well? Sorry, new to all this programming stuff.

drolo

Quote from: kinski on January 25, 2017, 07:02:00 PM
Thanks! Do you recommend any specific software as well? Sorry, new to all this programming stuff.

• First you will need something to write/create the programs. If unlike me you are a programming wizz, you can do it in a simple text editor. Otherwise you can use SpinCad, a software developed in open source by Digital Larry:http://holycityaudio.com/forum/
This allows you to create patches in a visual environment (patching blocks of code together that represent a function, like a filter, a delay etc)

Actually you don't even need to write your whole programs, there are a lot of great programs to be found on the SpinSemi website and especially their forum.

• Then you need to compile these programs (called ASM files ) into a HEX file that the FV1 chip is able to interpret.
Compiling the HEX file from ASM programs can be done with the SpinASM software available on the SpinSemi website.

If you are using SpinCad, the last version is able to generate a HEX file as well.

• And finally you need to flash that HEX file to an EEPROM (usually 24lc32a but can be others too)
For that, as suggested a pickit 2, 3 or even a cheap chinese clone thereof will work fine.

(note: I am absolutely no programmer and very new this as well so sorry for my simplistic and naive explanations  ;) )