News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Maestro Fz-1A Fuzztone

Started by fredwreck, December 09, 2016, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredwreck

Just finished this build off of a layout from
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2015/06/maestro-fz-1a-fuzz-tone.html#comment-form

This was my first perfboard build.  I got the small wedge enclosure from Frys Electronics.  It was a bit difficult to work with because it was made from steel, but I got it together.

I used Krylon Glitter paint for the sides, and just sealed it with glossy enamel and cooked it in the toaster oven at 150degrees for about an 30 mins.

I used Testors Decal paper for the logo and decals, it came out great at first but for some reason when I sprayed it with enamel to seal it, it bubbled and it didnt come out as good as I wished but its fine.

Got the transistors from Small Bear with the bias resistors, he was such a great help with that side of the build.

The original is 1.5volts but luckily the effects layout had worked in a voltage stepdown so I was able to run it with a 9volt power supply.  I just had to reverse all the diodes and Caps, and make sure you order NPN Transistors not PNP.

Anyway thanks for everyones help, this site has made building really fun! Enjoy!

jimilee

What a great build, how does it sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fredwreck

Thanks.. I dont have an original to compare it to, but it sounds amazing to me.  Sounds like the records!

Boba7

That is amazing indeed!! Excellent work! Now I'm curious about the circuit too... :)

matmosphere

Very nice! Looks great with the enclosure and the graphics. The knobs are a cool choice too.

madbean

That looks terrific! You should enter that in the BOTY contest...just sayin'.

bcalla

Quote from: madbean on December 10, 2016, 06:08:32 AM
Agreed!  That's an awesome build.

Leevibe

Gorgeous build. Speed knobs are the best!

m-Kresol

great build all around. Gotta love slanted enclosures.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

storyboardist

Looks good Fred! Love that enclosure.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

fredwreck

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

Quote from: bcalla on December 10, 2016, 06:09:47 AM
Quote from: madbean on December 10, 2016, 06:08:32 AM
Agreed!  That's an awesome build.

+1

Just plain awesome!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair