News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Spray Paint

Started by irmcdermott, August 10, 2011, 01:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

So, I just wanted to throw this out there for everyone who uses spray paint for their enclosures. I always just used Rustoleum everything... but recently I started trying out the Valspar Spray Paint that is sold at Lowe's and I have to tell you, I've been getting 100% better results than I have ever gotten with the other. No runs, goes on perfect in two coats, dries fast, great finish, etc., and at Lowe's it is $0.20 cheaper than the Rustoleum. I do still use Rustoleum's Auto Primer as a base, but man, I'm just loving this Valspar right now.

Anyway, just wanted to share, and this is the only place I feel like I can get excited about spray paint and not be laughed at :)

Ian

gtr2

haha...I'm laughing with you  ;)

Never tried their spray paint.  I used valspar in two rooms of my house and it never quite dries.  It's dry to the touch but if you leave a cable or something resting on the wall for a couple days the paint sticks to it...  >:(
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jtn191

Quote from: gtr2 on August 10, 2011, 01:43:51 PM
I used valspar in two rooms of my house and it never quite dries.  It's dry to the touch but if you leave a cable or something resting on the wall for a couple days the paint sticks to it...  >:(

Something like this happened with Rustoleum on my sunking (see profile pic), but a toaster oven/sun is supposed to cook the sticky out  ;)

irmcdermott

Huh, I've used Valspar paint in all of the rooms in my house. I loved it. No issues drying. I painted for two years as a job and it's by far my favorite.

Anyway... I just like the spray paint :)

slimtriggers

I've had spray paint refuse to dry when I used two different brands.  I think it was Rustoleum color and Valspar clear.  So I tend to stick with one brand from start to finish.  Always use a self etching primer on metal, too.

Still dying to try powder coating after the "how to" thread, though.  8)

gtr2

Quote from: irmcdermott on August 10, 2011, 04:56:50 PM
Huh, I've used Valspar paint in all of the rooms in my house. I loved it. No issues drying. I painted for two years as a job and it's by far my favorite.

Anyway... I just like the spray paint :)

I think its the new "high def" paint that is causing the issues, because I wasn't the only one.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

masterlk

This happens for me all the time...I feel ya.

Quote from: irmcdermott on August 10, 2011, 01:20:09 PM
Anyway, just wanted to share, and this is the only place I feel like I can get excited about spray paint and not be laughed at :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for the heads up! I always use Rusto's and get the results you described, drips and all. I'll have to try this stuff. Do you use auto etching primer?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

i do still use the Rustoleum auto etching primer

Haberdasher

I haven't had problems with Rusto running.  Maybe I do lighter coats than yous guys.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 11, 2011, 05:51:11 PM
I haven't had problems with Rusto running.  Maybe I do lighter coats than yous guys.

hahah My buddy always tells me if I do multiple coats and hold the can 10-12 inches away I'll get better results but not sure I'm willing to do that  :)

Haberdasher

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 15, 2011, 07:18:02 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on August 11, 2011, 05:51:11 PM
I haven't had problems with Rusto running.  Maybe I do lighter coats than yous guys.

hahah My buddy always tells me if I do multiple coats and hold the can 10-12 inches away I'll get better results but not sure I'm willing to do that  :)
well it takes a LOT longer that's for sure, but it's the way I'm used to painting.  I've got several unfinsihed enclosures here but when they're gone I think I'm going to start using painted from ppp.  it would really cut down on the time I'm spending building a pedal.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

I will agree with the op findings and will also add that I seem to have much problems with rustoleums nozzles clogging no matter how much effort I put into clearing them.
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

I just received my first powder-coated enclosures from Mammoth and that stuff is the sheeit! I still gassing for the Eastwood Kit cause I will say these are kinda blotchy in certain spots. Seems like it will beat trying to unclog stock tips like Jimmy just stated. For some reason the Rusto Clear coat can I have only sprays when turned upside down..I'm soo bad with spray paint  :-[