News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First SMall Ordered has Arrived!!!!Resitors?

Started by PaxWorks, August 12, 2011, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxWorks

Just received all my parts from smallbear to build the serendipity. I noticed the bags don't have the parts values on them. Anyone know of a good chart for resistor codes?

gtr2

you could also just use your dmm, I'm having bad luck lately with bags from suppliers that are marked as the value I ordered but contain an incorrect value.  For instance I just got a bag from tayda that was supposed to be 1M5 and it turned out to be 8K2....  big difference!  Luckily that was the only one but I've been double checking everything lately.  I've also had that happen with futurlec as well.  Never mouser, but you pay for it ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

snz728

Here is a resistor code calculator:  type in the value youre looking for (4.7) amd the color code pops up
http://diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html

PaxWorks

gtr2

If you have an iphone...there's an app for that  ;D

I forget which one I have...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

Quote from: gtr2 on August 12, 2011, 01:13:30 PM
If you have an iphone...there's an app for that  ;D

I forget which one I have...

I use ResistorCC... very handy :)

nzCdog

Quote from: gtr2 on August 12, 2011, 12:32:30 PM
you could also just use your dmm, I'm having bad luck lately with bags from suppliers that are marked as the value I ordered but contain an incorrect value.  For instance I just got a bag from tayda that was supposed to be 1M5 and it turned out to be 8K2....  big difference!  Luckily that was the only one but I've been double checking everything lately.  I've also had that happen with futurlec as well.  Never mouser, but you pay for it ;)

Josh

+1 I use my meter to test all my 1/4 watt resistor 'strips' of 10 when they first arrive and write the value on the tag.

jtn191

+1 I prefer DMM to charts/color calculators since I'm color blind

jighead81

+1 for ResistorCC on iPhone, but I use my DMM most of the time.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Geez you guys are lazy dawgs! J/k
I always visually identify them first and then check with my DMM!
There's a great game sorta like space invaders that will help you memorize the color chart faster. It's something like Resistor Attack  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mgwhit

Another hint, after you have arrived at a value by one method (codes, DMM or marked on the bag) try again using another method -- but first ask yourself, "What value or code do I expect to see?"  If you have a bag marked 470K, what color bands do you expect to see?  What multiplier band should it be?  Where do you expect to see decimal points on your DMM?  (Take into consideration what DC resistance setting you're using!)

I'm usually pretty anal about this, but I made a decimal point mistake a few builds back that wasted an entire evening debugging and fixing.  I've always done the "more than one method" method, but it's easy to convince yourself that the value you see is the correct value.  If you work backwards, any mistakes tend to stop you in your tracks.