News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

matched fets for Smoothie Phaser

Started by Fndr8875, December 10, 2016, 10:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

need matched set of 2n5457s, seeing as they are kinda expensive unless i order bulk from china and dont mind waiting 30 plus days i want to just buy a set. I just found out the 1776 site offers a matched set of 2n5457s plus 1 for their tremolo pedal. Will this work in in smoothie. feel like its a dumb question bc im pretty sure it will be idk much about jfet matching.  found few other sources but id rather go ahead and support Brian i think is your name, bc i feel youve given alot to DIY community and your projects seem to have best documentation and info to know what/where to do for exact parts and support. I wanna go ahead and just order but seeing as its saturday and it wont speed the process up ill just waint and see if any kind person responds.

midwayfair

The FET set probably would work as a matched pair. Transistors with identical biasing under specific circumstances should have similar characteristics when being used as variable resistors (which is what they're doing in the phaser).

However, Josh is matching them for a different purpose than the phaser. This means that they might be matched but fall outside the desirable range for what the phaser needs the Vp to be.

If you don't want to roll the dice, Smallbear sells pairs for $5 specifically matched within the range speced for a Phase xx phaser. They sell quads, too.

JMK used to sell pairs, too, if you're in Canada.

There might be other sources, but that's off the top of my head.