Main Menu

NGD - PRS

Started by madbean, December 15, 2016, 09:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on December 18, 2016, 02:29:30 PM
Apparently you're not the only one.  They changed the 2017 SE line

Suddenly, I can see myself with an SE model.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on December 18, 2016, 02:23:55 PM
Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on December 17, 2016, 01:40:10 PM
You have put words to what I've been feeling for years.  I almost don't care how good the guitar is if the headstock looks like crap.  Like those James Tyler guitars...they may be great, but no thanks.

Well, that too. But I also care what the name is on the headstock. I don't care how nice any given model is, I won't own an Epiphone. For some reason, I don't mind Squier or G&L Tribute. But Epiphone is a no-go for me. I know that's really dumb, but I can't help it.

Squier does a nice job of making there super cheap models not look super cheap. The real low end versions of the les Paul look like cheap prices of junk from thirty feet away. That's not to say they're worse than squier Affinity strats, I don't know. But they sure look worse.

That said I've played some solid Epiphone Pauls. I'm a fender guy though.

matmosphere

Brian that's a great looking PRS. I have to say that after building my own guitar this year and doing a to. Of research on the way, I have a lot of respect for Mr Smith. Dude is as much a scholar as he is a builder.

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 18, 2016, 03:34:01 PM
Brian that's a great looking PRS. I have to say that after building my own guitar this year and doing a to. Of research on the way, I have a lot of respect for Mr Smith. Dude is as much a scholar as he is a builder.

Well, he's certainly interested in building more than guitars:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151118005105/en/Guitar-Maker-Paul-Reed-Smith-Team-Scientists

He's got patents on an improved x-ray technology. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

dont-tase-me-bro

I've always wanted to get a PRS, but being left handed, there are very few.  They make a strat sized hollowbody that is really nice
I thought this would save me money.

alanp

It's weird, seeing a non-shiny, non-AAAAA-flame-top PRS.

Like Mrs Bucket ("Bou-kee") from Keeping Up Appearances happily slurping lager.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 18, 2016, 03:28:23 PM
The real low end versions of the les Paul look like cheap prices of junk from thirty feet away. That's not to say they're worse than squier Affinity strats, I don't know. But they sure look worse.

You mean the Studio "faded" models? I think they look okay. Not great, but at least half-decent.

I can get along with just about any guitar from the "feel" perspective (at least for the major styles and brands). So I tend to make my purchase decisions based on looks. You're right that Squier guitars look almost identical to the pricier American and up models, while Gibson definitely separates things visually.

If Gibson made a Studio with body and neck binding, I'd be buying those. But at that point, you're just a headstock inlay away from a Standard. ;)

nzCdog

Hot.  Love the colour especially 8)

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on December 19, 2016, 01:02:21 AM
The real low end versions of the les Paul look like cheap prices of junk from thirty feet away. That's not to say they're worse than squier Affinity strats, I don't know. But they sure look worse.

You mean the Studio "faded" models? I think they look okay. Not great, but at least half-decent.

I can get along with just about any guitar from the "feel" perspective (at least for the major styles and brands). So I tend to make my purchase decisions based on looks. You're right that Squier guitars look almost identical to the pricier American and up models, while Gibson definitely separates things visually.

If Gibson made a Studio with body and neck binding, I'd be buying those. But at that point, you're just a headstock inlay away from a Standard. ;)

Nah, I'm talking about how crummy the entry level Epiphones look. Once you hit $350-400 epic start looking very nice but below that and they don't look to hot. Those super cheap squiers don't actually look that bad.

Imo the faded Gibsons don't look too bad at all. I kinda like that look on the SG.

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 19, 2016, 01:49:52 AM
Quote from: culturejam on December 19, 2016, 01:02:21 AM

Nah, I'm talking about how crummy the entry level Epiphones look. Once you hit $350-400 epic start looking very nice but below that and they don't look to hot. Those super cheap squiers don't actually look that bad.

Imo the faded Gibsons don't look too bad at all. I kinda like that look on the SG.

I think Gibson would sell more Epiphones if they simply used the Gibson headstock.  Leaving the Epiphone logo would probably be fine; and a good differentiator.  But I think that there is probably little interest for Gibson to make their lower line guitars look like the upper line guitars.

I'm actually curious what convinced PRS to make the logo change on the SE line.  CultureJam is a good example of somebody who wanted a core model PRS because of the logo but might now consider a less expensive SE.  I'm guessing that isn't their plan, but maybe it's not an issue for them as long as they get a customer into the PRS fold.
Function f(x)

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on December 19, 2016, 02:40:19 AM
CultureJam is a good example of somebody who wanted a core model PRS because of the logo but might now consider a less expensive SE.

I didn't necessarily want the Core because of the logo. I wanted one because they are awesome. I mainly *didn't* want the SE because of the logo (and because the hardware is rumored to be not that great). I guess in some ways, that might be the same thing as what you are saying, but in my head it's different.

But like I say way up this thread, the Zach Meyers I played at NAMM is one I would definitely own, "SE" on the headstock be damned.

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on December 19, 2016, 02:56:42 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 19, 2016, 02:40:19 AM
CultureJam is a good example of somebody who wanted a core model PRS because of the logo but might now consider a less expensive SE.

I didn't necessarily want the Core because of the logo. I wanted one because they are awesome. I mainly *didn't* want the SE because of the logo (and because the hardware is rumored to be not that great). I guess in some ways, that might be the same thing as what you are saying, but in my head it's different.

But like I say way up this thread, the Zach Meyers I played at NAMM is one I would definitely own, "SE" on the headstock be damned.

The Zach Myers guitars are really nice.

I think 2017 is going to be the year I get a PRS.  I just haven't decided which one, though.
Function f(x)

GermanCdn

It all starts with 1.  I remember when I bought my first Singlecut Satin and thought "Finally, I own a PRS."  Never dreamed I'd own more than two dozen, but hey, it starts with 1.

Very nice guitar, and the McCarty finishes (and everything McCarty) are underrated.  I find it interesting how DGTs are a lot more popular, and yet they are in large part a McTremy (in fact that's the model David based it on).

As far as the logo on the new SEs - that's just wrong.  I mean it looks great, but it's the import line.  Fender doesn't dominant brand Squier as Fender (except for a little FMIC blurb somewhere), Gibson doesn't dominant brand Epiphone as Gibson (sure it says it on the truss rod cover), and neither one of them brand the thirty other brands they own under the parent brand.

All that being said, I'll likely be moving at least half of my PRSs next year, not cause they're not great, I just don't get around to playing them enough and guitars are meant to be played, not sit in their cases on a rack in my basement.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Which ones are on the chopping block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

GermanCdn

Since I've got doubles of nearly everything, most will be available, and once one sells I won't sell the other one.  Already sold my HF2, one of my SASs, the aforementioned SC Satin.  Since the 509 has just come out at a ridiculous price, my 513 and 305 will go up.  Probably three Singlecuts, my purple and gold CU22 Artist, either my McTremy or my DGT.

Only one's I probably won't put up for feelers will be my CU22 P90, my 408, my Studio, my SAS hardtail with maple board and birds, and my red Singlecut.

Will send a list to anyone who's interested after the holidays.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.