News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: Sockets...

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, December 16, 2016, 01:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Is there a type that is better, Dual Leaf or Machine Pin? When I've used Dual Leaf I can hear the IC snap in. Not so much with the Machine Pin. I need more, and I'd like to get the "better".

Thank you...

dbp512

I personally prefer the machine tooled. I feel like they hold the chip in better, and on a really minor note, look a lot better. I remember someone saying the dual leaf type isn't as reliable, but I don't remember who.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

Leevibe

I like real mill max sockets over lead spring. The machine pin ones tayda sells are horrible. Good for one or two insertions. Get very loose after that. Never had that problem with SB or PPP stock.

dbp512

Interesting, I get all my sockets from Tayda, and haven't noticed any issues with them. Perhaps its because I don't resocket things constantly, I just use them to avoid heating the components.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

alanp

The thing about machine pin sockets is that you're putting a square IC leg into a round hole. I'm not convinced that leaf pin doesn't make better long term sense.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

K3yPr0gg3r

Thank you for everyone's feedback. I'm kinda with alanp, but I'll keep both on hand. Ordering some DL 8s, 14s, and 16s from SB now...

Thanks again

alanp

The fact that you can typically pick them up cheaper doesn't hurt, either :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

I don't often socket, but when I do I leaf spring socket.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer