News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Electric Druid Delay

Started by bsoncini, December 20, 2016, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

I finished mine up the other week.  When I first finished it, I had terrible white noise through the pedal.  After re-flowing every joint, replacing the IC's, and still had the noise, I was pretty disappointed.  I made the changes suggested, and that really, really helped the noise issue.  Its not 100% yet, there is still some noise there, so I need to play with the values a little still.

Philthy

thanks Dan - I presume the mods you refer to are the suggested resistor changes on the ED site for use with guitars?

Also, is the noise always present or is it in the repeats (if that makes sense)?

bsoncini

The noise is always there. Even with the delay off. Since there are tails the signal is not true bypass. The purpose of the resistor mod is to boost the signal above that noise before the delay and attenuate the signal after. The resistor mod definitely helps. Haven't had time to play around with the values but it can probably be better. Values depend on your guitar output.

alanp

Two thoughts occur to me... one, can we raise the guitar signal before-pic-chip, or are we all outta headroom, and two, can we insert a daughterboard with a SMD DAC after the pic?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

bsoncini

Well the max that the pic can handle is 3v peak to peak. According to tom from electric druid, the max signal from the guitar with his resistor mods he requested is 680mv peak to peak.

With the values that tom gave me for the resistors.  The noise is much better.  Way less than many dirt pedals add.  But I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit to be better.

As for the dac, I'm not very knowlegable with digital circuits so I'll let others chime in.

Jebus

Has anyone found / recorded any demos of this? I'm interested (tap tempo delay would be nice addition), but would prefer to hear some sounds before ordering the board. :)