News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Powder coated enclosures

Started by matmosphere, November 18, 2016, 04:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I just received a powder coated enclosure from Tayda. The quality is better than I was expecting. It has a very slight orange peel texture, but it's only visible if you are closely examining the finish. I don't notice it at all if I look at it straight on. There was also a very slight shallow scratch on one side, but I suspect it happened in shipping.

Overall for the extra 50 cents it was totally worth it if you want a powder coated box. Wish they had more colors though. I'll try to post some decent pics this weekend if anybody is interested.

Funny thing is I been doing all the graphics on bare enclosures for a long time now, so I'm not sure what to do with this blue box. Going to have to get out of my comfort zone for this one.

sturgeo

I've got a stack of the white 1590BBs and so far they've all been exceptional  :)
I bought a single blue one and thats also really good, a nicer blue than the hammond pre coated enclosures (IMO) and i'm hoping they engrave better than the hammond ones.

I think there might be more colours to come, especially if the ones they currently offer fly off the shelves.

Boba7

I got a few colored enclosures lately and so far have been quite lucky with them. Sure they have minor scruffs, but it's a really great quality for the price!

See my build report of a Lunar Module and a Pharaoh here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=24182.0
Both enclosures from Tayda.

sturgeo

Quote from: sturgeo on November 18, 2016, 08:47:39 AM
I think there might be more colours to come, especially if the ones they currently offer fly off the shelves.

Well that is a coincidence, lime green has just appeared!

Boba7

cajone5

I used a black 125B for my recent super fuzz factory build.  I have a few more of those as well as some unfinished and white 125B's coming my way for more builds.  Can't beat the price.

Jules

They are good value and look pretty good as well.
I did drop one accidentally and it did not come off well, I reckon they are not quite as durable as some of the more expensive powder coats though.

chromesphere

Strange, my experience has been quite the opposite.  Sure there is the price factor and you get what you pay for etc etc.  But things like patches of powder coating missing, blobby rims, and just generally a pretty rushed and rough look aren't acceptable in my opinion.  But yeah, their cheap...I have gone back to DIY powder coating when time permits.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

matmosphere

Quote from: chromesphere on November 22, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
Strange, my experience has been quite the opposite.  Sure there is the price factor and you get what you pay for etc etc.  But things like patches of powder coating missing, blobby rims, and just generally a pretty rushed and rough look aren't acceptable in my opinion.  But yeah, their cheap...I have gone back to DIY powder coating when time permits.

They used to be very low quality, but the quality is much better now. I believe they upgraded some equipment and now offer several colors, not just white and black.

jimilee

If you have the stuff to do it yourself, you wouldn't want to buy one for sure.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

Quote from: Matmosphere on November 22, 2016, 11:25:10 PM

They used to be very low quality, but the quality is much better now. I believe they upgraded some equipment and now offer several colors, not just white and black.

My last batch ordered from tayda was not impressive either.  Maybe I'm just fastidious...If I get time tonight I can show some photos.  Once again, ill say, yes...they are cheap...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jimilee

Quote from: chromesphere on November 23, 2016, 02:16:21 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on November 22, 2016, 11:25:10 PM

My last batch ordered from tayda was not impressive either.  Maybe I'm just fastidious...If I get time tonight I can show some photos.  Once again, ill say, yes...they are cheap...
Oh sure, but you have to consider what they are going to be used for also. Mine haven't left the office in awhile. The. One offs that I do, I'm more meticulous with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stringsthings

I recently ordered a 1590BB in lime green.  Looks pretty nice with a few irregularities.  Nothing deal breaking.
I did notice a few things during preparation.

1.  When drilling, the finish tended to flake off in little bits on the edges of the holes.  A little counter-sinking with
the drill fixed these spots.  I usually drill my enclosures before spray painting, so I had not encountered this before.

2.  When applying a laser decal, the decal got "stuck" to the enclosure very quickly.  This didn't allow much in the way
of re-positioning the decal.  So I scrapped the decal and applied one coat of clear to the enclosure.  This gave me
the usual smooth surface to apply the decal.

FYI,  I brushed some micro-sol that I got from smallbear to the top of the enclosure before applying the decal. 
This worked out really well, allowing easy re-positioning.  Definitely worth picking up a little bottle if you're doing decals.   
All You Need Is Love