News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One of my quickest builds to date.. that I started twenty years ago.

Started by matmosphere, January 05, 2017, 02:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I got a pif from bcalla a few weeks back (thanks buddy) and ended up throwing it together quickly to enter it in the BOTY contest when the project I had been trying to develop wasn't materializing as quickly as I hoped. 

So here it is, Escobedo's fine Jawari pedal. It was the first board I'd built from GGG, and it was a nice easy build. It ended up coming together, artwork included, start to finish in two nights of work. The little transformer was a bit heavy so I picked up some small adhesive standoffs to keep it solid in place. Like I generally do the led is hidden under the artwork.

Not my cleanest work on the inside, but with the deadline and the craziness around the holidays I'm just glad I got it done.

The pedal sounds a lot more like a sitar than I would have ever imagined. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.  Midwayfair's pif challenge inspired the sound clip I ended up making with it. I liked his suggestion to make something a little less traditional.

I ended up laying a few tracks of me "playing". Part of the sound of a sitar is the drowning sympathetic strings, which a regular guitar obviously doesn't have.  To approximate the sound I recorded a few tracks of volume swells, with the jawari on, to go in the background. I tuned down a few steps so the sitar style bends would be a little easier.

https://m.soundcloud.com/matthew-raiteri/

Finally, how did this build start almost twenty years ago? A few days after I finished it o was looking at the artwork, which is from a Sonic youth record with the background replaced with a paisley pattern, I realized I had done the exact same thing with the exact same picture way back in eighth grade art class. A quick trip to the attic revealed that I still have that project.

Bottom line.. Jawari.. build it

bcalla

Hah!  I sat on the PCB & parts for 3-4 years, and you turned it into something cool in 2 days!  Awesome work!  Glad to hear that it sounds so good.

Addy Bart

gordo

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 05, 2017, 02:59:03 AM
Not my cleanest work on the inside, but with the deadline and the craziness around the holidays I'm just glad I got it done.

Are you f**king kidding me?  That's excellent!  This is one of those projects I always meant to get to but never did.  Your audio convinced me that I need to.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Wow, thanks guys! I'm really happy with the graphics. I feel like I could have made the guts a little cleaner.

Glad you like the clip. It's impressive how much it sounds like a sitar. It's certainly not an always on kind of pedal but It has a place.

Bret608

Aw, that's the cover from the Starpower EP! I bought that disc at a Tower Records at Mardi Gras in like early 1995. Thanks for the memories! And your build looks and sounds great.

You had good taste in album cover art for an eighth-grader...

cloudscapes

Love it!

And yes, jawari is awesome. I've built like 5 of them?

bluescage

Boba7