News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4-button true bypass relay build...looking for 8 pin cable?

Started by B_of_H, February 11, 2011, 03:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_of_H

anyone know of any round (so I can drill the hole myself) cable/jack type that I can use with 8 or more connections?

the relay's need two wires each (spdt momentary) and I was thinking that there might be some sort of cable/jack system out there (perhaps for computers) that has 8+ pins that I could use from the looper to a box that houses the actual relay circuits.  I'm not going to build it if I have to run 4 cables from it, that kinda defeats the purpose.  2 cables maybe. 

any ideas or suggestions?

Mark_McQ

B_of_H

Quote from: Mark_McQ on February 11, 2011, 03:55:39 PM
You can get 8-pin DIN plugs and sockets.

will that work?

Is that a computer type cable that I can buy at radio shack or something?

Mark_McQ

B_of_H

thank you.

I'll buy a few of those, I appreciate the help. 

Mark_McQ

Just noticed they have these ones in. They might be better for a footswitch since they have the screw on collar, so less chance of the cable getting tugged out:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Microphone-Plug-8-pin.html
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Microphone-Jack-8-pin.html

B_of_H

I was just thinking that perhaps I could make LED's in the switch box?

I guess I'd need a 13 pin?

2xeach switch
1xeach switch for LED on/off from relay?
1 9v source?

i'm starting to have doubts about this idea, it might be weird not having the LED's at the switches for a visual reference live.  

I guess I could also just build another little relay circuit to light the LED's for each switch and perhaps use the 8 pin and a 9v dc jack. 

stecykmi

I don't know anything about relays, but this project sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

stevewire

Quote from: stecykmi on February 14, 2011, 11:15:30 AM
I don't know anything about relays, but this project sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

I agree it does sound interesting.  I'd like to know about relays and I'd love to see a picture of what is going on in this project.

B_of_H

the switches are spdt momentary

i'm using either the cusak relays or the deville relays and will probably have to figure out how to build an LED relay system on perfboard.