News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean's "kits" are all stolen from Freestomboxes

Started by culturejam, January 14, 2017, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on May 23, 2017, 01:32:25 PM
well, not saying I like the idea at all. But at least he is not selling a pcb but the components to build it on vero.

mklec is a member here btw

As soon as something is publicly available, someone's gonna pull it apart and trace it. As long as that stays within the DIY realm I have no issue with that. Even with a PCB. Basically we all got into this to build effects and see how they work. A lot of that is building clones of already existing stuff.

It's only when arseholes start using those layouts in commercial products (JHS, etc) that I have an issue with it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

At the DIY level, I suspect that the people making whizzbang gonkulator copies on veroboard are the people who fairly surely wouldn't buy a commercial whizzbang gonkulator.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on May 24, 2017, 01:23:40 AM
Quote from: micromegas on May 23, 2017, 01:32:25 PM
well, not saying I like the idea at all. But at least he is not selling a pcb but the components to build it on vero.

mklec is a member here btw

As soon as something is publicly available, someone's gonna pull it apart and trace it. As long as that stays within the DIY realm I have no issue with that. Even with a PCB. Basically we all got into this to build effects and see how they work. A lot of that is building clones of already existing stuff.

It's only when arseholes start using those layouts in commercial products (JHS, etc) that I have an issue with it.

I agree 100% and I guess most people in this forum would. I actually think that tracing pedals has helped to identify many of these companies and to clarify some situations (like the Vertex's wah thing). Moreover, it pushes the community to learn how to discern between a good quality and a bad quality product and to try new designs & ideas.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

PaulL

I presume that forum goers of FSB also have joined FCF (Free Capacitors Forum) and FRF (Free Resistors Forum), etc, etc. and make all their own components?

The way I see it is that someone somewhere is going to make money selling the required components. If someone wants to do the job of sourcing them all and putting them in a kit along with some instructions, other useful bits and provide some support why shouldn't they if people want to buy all that they need in one go from one place.

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on May 24, 2017, 02:54:39 AM

I agree 100% and I guess most people in this forum would. I actually think that tracing pedals has helped to identify many of these companies and to clarify some situations (like the Vertex's wah thing). Moreover, it pushes the community to learn how to discern between a good quality and a bad quality product and to try new designs & ideas.

There's a lot of truth to this.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on May 24, 2017, 04:51:55 AM
Now we just need to work on being infamous!

But first, we need a plethora of pedal products. That part is going slowly.  ;D

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on May 24, 2017, 02:38:02 AM
At the DIY level, I suspect that the people making whizzbang gonkulator copies on veroboard are the people who fairly surely wouldn't buy a commercial whizzbang gonkulator.

I agree, especially for dirt boxes and things with part counts < 50ish. Anybody who is enough of a masochist to regularly work with vero probably thinks buying pedals is for the weak and cowardly.  ;D

Willybomb

Lol, most of my stuff is vero.  I have to admit, I'm not a fan of doing those larger (for me) 25x25 builds.

BrianS

I believe the ClusterFuzz was my 3rd vero build. Out of the 5 or so I've done it's the only one that worked straight off.  The circuit is really really great.  The guys at Function FX nailed this one for sure.  And if anyone hears it/likes it they will be directed to their website.  The circle of people I am around are pretty much clueless about what a resistor or a capacitor is.

juansolo

I was primarily a vero builder until I discovered Madbean. I still use it occasionally for knocking together simple stuff. But am not as fond of it as I was I'll admit. Mainly down to just how much longer it takes to make it neat.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Adam_DIY

Quote from: juansolo on May 24, 2017, 09:29:22 AM
I was primarily a vero builder until I discovered Madbean. I still use it occasionally for knocking together simple stuff. But am not as fond of it as I was I'll admit. Mainly down to just how much longer it takes to make it neat.

That's my experience too I started with vero kits from bitsbox and still use vero but only for stuff I can't find a pcb for.  The convenience of board mounted pots and minimal offboard wiring is way too easy to ignore.

stringsthings

I used to build a lot of vero when funds were very limited.  Now I rarely use it.
I think the experience was very good as I also did a few vero layouts. 
All You Need Is Love

jimilee

I use vero when I decide I need to build something right now. I keep a little on hand all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.