News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bellows Clone

Started by storyboardist, January 17, 2017, 10:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

Before the Holidays I grabbed a used EQD Bellows off eBay. Great sounding dirt box on both guitar and bass, plus soft touch relay switching. Of course before I even plugged it in I cracked it open and took a peak in side. Not too long after I was able to trace it (ignoring the PIC-based relay bypass circuitry). Here's the schematic:

The JFET threw me, so I breadboarded it real quick (with a J201 for the JFET) and it fired right up. I made a layout for my blog and went ahead and built it up on perf to verify it. With the original being in a 125B enclosure, I went ahead and boxed it up in a 1590B with top mounted jacks (or TMJs as Cody and I call them). Smaller footprint FTW. Wasn't feeling all that inspired for graphics, so I just spray painted it orange and painted some flames on there.

For bypass I used good ol' Millenium 2 bypassing with a DPDT (I have a bunch of those lying around).
Guy behind Effects Layouts

bluescage

Tidy build. Even though you were not inspired, the flames came out looking good!

Ralfg

That's a really clean spray paint job! I have never been able to get top mounted jacks to work in a 1590b. Thanks your work on the blog, I use it a lot. Do you know what the jfet is doing to the circuit?
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

m-Kresol

cool build. I like how it looks like a chemical safety sign :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

sonnyboy27

Do you have a template for TMJs in a 1590B? I ask because for some reason my work firewall is blocking pictures today so I can't see how it's laid out. :(

Adam_DIY

jimilee

That's an insane sounding pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

That circuit is very clever.

selfdestroyer

That came out great David. I really like the simplicity of the artwork and the knobs.. and I am always a sucker for TMJs lol.

Cody

jkokura

I was thinking the same thing as Jon. It's a unique way to do dirty boost, and I believe I haven't seen it done that way yet. That's cool, because I'm pretty sure I've seen a dozen other ways, and it's easy to get a little jaded.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Aleph Null

TMJs FTW!

I like the simple graphics. They look clean and hard to miss on a dark stage.

warriorpoet

Quote from: jkokura on January 17, 2017, 12:02:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Jon. It's a unique way to do dirty boost, and I believe I haven't seen it done that way yet. That's cool, because I'm pretty sure I've seen a dozen other ways, and it's easy to get a little jaded.

Jacob
I was just looking at the build before I hit your comment.  You're right; that is very clever indeed. Very, very cool.

Great build, too! I always enjoy your simple, clean PCB etches; circuit art at its most elemental.
Mzo.FX, Owner

raulduke

Cool build dude, and as the others have said, that design is new to me and is really interesting...

Time to get the breadboard out!

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on January 17, 2017, 12:02:21 PM

Jacob

I'm going to encourage people to breadboard it and measure the voltage at the drain while playing, then measure the resistance across the drain->source while playing. Or you can ponder JFET switching or the Orange Squeeze to guess what might happen.

It actually has roots in the Bazz Fuss, though you have to squint to see it. The gate and any N junction (FETs are symmetrical) form a diode.

stringsthings

Very nice.  Thanks a bunch for doing your layouts.  I've made several boards with the info
from your site.  This one will go on the list.
All You Need Is Love