News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deathklaw and Aion's Cresent (Crunchbox clone)

Started by Ralfg, January 19, 2017, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralfg

Some new builds I just finished up.  We got Madbean's Deathklaw Delay.  I'm pretty impressed with this thing so far.  Love it with the ghost switch on.  I had a bit of trouble with it because I reversed the diodes on accident, but got it all work thanks to help.  I also messed up on the holes for one of the jacks, totally used an old drill template and realized way too late that its too high for this board in a 1509b.  So, I had to drill another hole.  No big deal... I guess it gives it that homemade feel.

For the etch I found some a drawing laying around the house on the back of a spreadsheet that the lady did.  I thought it was so cool it had to go on a pedal.  Scanned it in and found a font that was pretty close to the vibe of the word "Roots" that she had on the picture.  I'm really pleased with how this came out.

Next up is Aion's Cresent, which is a modified Crunchbox.  When I tested this thing out I just couldn't stop soloing.  So I thought since I listen to Zakk Wylde's solos before every show.. like seriously just the solos, I fast forward 2/3rds  the way through the song (its very predictable always 2/3rds into the song) stick my tongue out and get amped, it's become a pre-show ritual... I thought it would be cool to stomp on that dude before my solos.  So I found a cool picture of him and built the layout around the image. 

Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

Philthy

bluescage

cajone5

Leevibe

Aleph Null

Nice etches. Love the anodized aluminum knobs.

bcalla

These builds are amazing - especially your etches!

ferrinbonn

I just built the Cresent too (and I'm not going to post pics after seeing yours...). Fabulous pedal, but I added the DX1-4 diodes. It's supposed to be a big gainier and more compressed that way (which it probably didn't need). Still sounds great, but I'm wondering how it sounds now with the LEDs doing the clipping instead. Did you try it both ways?

Ralfg

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. 

Ferrinbonn, I did not try the other way.  My older "solo" pedal was a Brunetti Mercury clone off Tagboard Effects.  I love it, but its really gainy sounding and it does not cut through the band mix enough without boosting it.  Then it is just excessively loud.  It could just be the way it's voiced and might not have enough mids to really cut through.  Something I might experiment with changing.  I went with the LEDs because I wanted a clear not as compressed sound and not overly distorted sound that cuts through.  And the circuit itself has tons of gain already.  I also built a Tagboard version of the Turnabout where I like the LEDs the most.  (yeah super addicted to building... I know... it's border line shamefull)  Also other pedals I've built I tend to like a more compressed sound for rhythm, and a more open sound for lead.  Granted I haven't tried it in the band yet, so it might not fit the bill.

I think you should always post pedals you are proud of in my opinion.  The people on this forum are so cool and friendly it is really inspiring.  Thank you though for the kind words.     
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/